Tuesday, August 1, 2017

For Your Reading Pleasure 8/1/17




Fairly recently I discovered another new-to-me series of novels while searching for something else on my library's website.




I am now almost through the third book, The Wedding Circle, of The Cherry Cola Book Club series, and although definitely not great literature, the series is light reading that holds my interest. Photos are Amazon links.




The book is about a young librarian, Maura Beth Mayhew, in the small town of Cherico, Mississippi. The early books are about her fight to keep the City Council from defunding and closing down the rather pathetic-sounding library in the town of 5,000. The town's main players are introduced, and I soon became interested in the various story threads.

One of Maura Beth's strategies is to begin a book club that meets at the library. One wouldn't see how that could help circulation, but as the group meets to eat a meal together and discuss books, they formulate and carry out other plans to help the library survive. (Recipes appear at the back of each book.)



 
This series is written by a man, Ashton Lee (a pseudonym I think). He does fairly well with the female roles (and male), although some of the humor that he has the characters laughing over just fell flat with me. But then I rarely read books expecting much humor, and for some reason I don't often laugh at books or movies or tv shows. It doesn't mean I don't like them, though!

There is a little swearing, but nothing vulgar, and intimacy is left to the imagination. So I would call these "clean" books, and I am always grateful for such as these.




If you are interested in libraries, small towns, books, book clubs, or Southern cooking, you might want to give this series a try. And of course, there is romance and the inevitable problems that afflict new and old relationships.

To date there are five books in the series, with the sixth slated for release this November. Let me know if you've read any of these books, and what you thought of them. Or you can always leave a suggestion for other books for our reading enjoyment.




I'm grateful for each and every one of you that visits my blog,
Bess
PS: I am an Amazon Associate. Thank you so much for looking at these books (and you can always check with your local library). If you do enter Amazon and buy anything at all via one of my links, it costs you nothing extra and gives me a little credit for buying books for myself. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess