Tuesday, July 4, 2017

For Your Reading Pleasure 7/4/17





Today I share this little book: The Bluebird of Happiness: A Little Book of Cheer by Vicky Howard. I had forgotten I had it, but came across this gem while scrounging around for other books. Poor thing. It deserves better than to be hidden away and neglected.




In this small book (about 4.5x4.5" but 96 pages), Ms. Howard shares quotes on happiness from the likes of Helen Keller, Anne Frank, Walt Whitman, Nathaniel Hawthorne, etc. She also shares gorgeous scenes from her personal collection of Victorian-Age postcards of birds and flowers.



Being short, it's tempting to whip through the book, and then maybe think: "Well, that wasn't worth it." But these helpful, wise sayings, along with the pretty pages, should be meditated upon and savored slowly, several times over. I'm going to keep it nearby, for a while at least, and turn to it frequently for an injection of cheer and wisdom.



It is published by Andrews McMeel Publishing (no affiliation), Kansas City, and my experience has been they publish some lovely books. They have coloring books as well! (Marjolein Bastin has a new one coming out in August.)


Originally published in 2007, Amazon still has copies of this sweet book. It's also available on Kindle, but I haven't seen that version and can't speak to its quality.

Enjoy your reading!
Bess
PS: I am an Amazon Associate. Thank you so much for looking at these books (and you can always check with your local library). If you do enter Amazon and buy anything at all via one of my links, it costs you nothing extra and gives me a little credit for buying books for myself. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess