Thursday, May 4, 2017

For Your Reading Pleasure 5/4/17






Sorry for the delay on posting this. It has been a low energy week for me. I will blame it on the variable weather!

This week I'm sharing the Aunt Dimity cozy mysteries by Nancy Atherton. The photos will take you to the Amazon page. The first book was published in 1992, but there are over twenty books, with a new one coming out May 9. I have only read the first three so far, but they have all held my interest.

Aunt Dimity is a lovely, helpful lady. She just happens to be a ghost who visits certain places and people as needed. But she is not in the books all that much, and I wouldn't let her being a spirit keep you from reading the books. She is not visible, but leaves her handwritten messages in a journal. The books so far have taken place in England and Boston.





The first in the series, Aunt Dimity's Death, does have some swearing, almost all of it by the protagonist's former employer. I thought it unnecessary, but it was short-lived at least. Still, I wish authors didn't feel the need to use cursing. I personally think anything can be written without such words. Editors probably pressure writers to "update" manuscripts by adding some cursing. There are even just a very few curses in the Miss Read books. So I'm just letting you know, in case it matters, that the Dimity series is not totally free of swear words.

The "mysteries" in the books have not been murders so far (unless I've spaced something out, which is entirely possible!). The writing is good; above average for the cozy mystery genre. In fact, sometimes I get confused as to what's going on and really have to think about it! For one thing, Aunt Dimity and the Duke is a prequel to the first book, yet I still wasn't 100% sure that Dimity is alive in that book, at least by the end. But she was visible, plus she's just(?) died in the first book, but...? Maybe someone out there can enlighten me! And I have a bad habit of reading a few books between books of a series, so that it takes me awhile to remember connections among characters. I can see me rereading this series and picking up more the second time. I am curious to see what the next book brings into play.





All in all, I'm enjoying these books, and will continue to rotate them into my reading. I hope you'll give them a try, too!

Hoping you have an utterly beautiful weekend, my lovelies!
Bess
PS: I am an Amazon Associate. Thank you so much for looking at these books (and you can always check with your local library). If you do enter Amazon and buy anything at all via one of my links, it costs you nothing extra and gives me a little credit for buying books for myself. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess