Tuesday, April 18, 2017

For Your Reading Pleasure 4/18/17





The Travelling Matchmaker books: Emily Goes to Exeter; Belinda Goes to Bath; Penelope Goes to Portsmouth; Beatrice Goes to Brighton; Deborah Goes to Dover; and Yvonne Goes to York. (Photos are links to the Amazon pages; available for Kindle or in print.)

After reading several, but not tons, of Harlequin Romance books in my 20s, I pretty much gave up reading romances for years. Decades even. When I was that age, I decided romance novels had the power to make me unhappy by thinking my husband or our relationship/marriage didn't measure up. 


     This is the series version I've been reading.

I don't recall doing that much reading in my 30s, but in my 40s I began to read mostly non-fiction and/or inspirational books. I didn't bother with much fiction because I didn't think there was anything out there I would like.

When my 50s arrived, I began to read a few blogs that were written by ladies I perceived to be kindred spirits. They would suggest books by authors such as Miss Read, DE Stevenson, LM Montgomery, and others. So I began to read some of their suggestions and finally, after a lifetime of not knowing, I discovered what "my kind of books" were: gentle, wholesome or clean, character-driven books; many by British authors.





 
In time, I discovered there were even romance novels that could be considered "clean" and fun, without being graphic or leading to unwanted arousal. So to make a long story short, in recent weeks I've been making my way through The Travelling Matchmaker series by Marion Chesney, aka MC Beaton. You'll find them both ways. These are short Regency novels about a retired manor housekeeper who travels by "stagecoach" for fun. Jane Austen books they are not, but I am enjoying Miss Pym's efforts to make a match or two. She often has to keep several people in line, as well.





I think it would be best to read the books in order since Miss Pym's background is given in Book 1, and her own romance possibility is ongoing in each book thereafter. I'm ready for Book 4 of six. The story lines are similar to each other, yet different enough to hold my interest. Beaton has written several other series of six books each. They look interesting, also. The books sometimes have a few phrases that are "suggestive," but I haven't found them to be in poor taste.

So if you like romance novels at all, you might want to read some of these books. Maybe it's a sign of the times, but I find myself, now in my 60s, wanting to do very light reading; books that aren't overly serious, and a bit fun. I may reach my fill of romances and clean cozy mysteries (another type of book I never thought I'd enjoy much), but for now they are a nice escape.

Hope you are finding time to indulge in a good book,
Bess
PS: I am an Amazon Associate. Thank you so much for looking at these books (and you can always check with your local library). If you do enter Amazon and buy anything at all via one of my links, it costs you nothing extra and gives me a little credit for buying books for myself. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.



4 comments:

  1. I've been a voracious reader at times, reading two books at once. What was I thinking? I've slowed down now and pretty much only read books on my iPad. Romance novels have not enticed me as I started out a big Nancy Drew fan and have continued to read mysteries as my favourite. The odd time I'll read history.
    I picked up on your desire for 'clean' cozy mysteries and must agree, it is totally unnecessary for the sordid bits that some authors include.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith! I usually have a few books going at once, but as I get more involved with one, I'll often focus on it until it's finished. (I have more time to read these days.) I try to read different types so I don't get the stories confused, but sometimes that happens! I never read Nancy Drew as a girl. I wish I had. I read a few as an adult and didn't read more, but maybe someday I will. My mother was a huge mystery fan. Enjoy your garden this spring!

      Delete
  2. Well, now that I am in my 60's too, I believe I need to check out these sweet books. Thanks for the honest reviews and recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy some of them, Lady Linda! Most of them are older books, but I have had excellent luck getting them through my local library system. Thanks for your comment and visit! Many blessings, Bess

      Delete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess