Tuesday, April 11, 2017

For Your Reading Pleasure 4/11/17




Today I'm sharing another round of children's books by Susan Coolidge (pen name), which I am enjoying reading as an adult: The Katy Carr Series. The books are about a family of six children, Katy being the oldest. The father is a doctor and a widower. According to the Wikipedia article, the first book was published in 1872. The article gives a fairly good summary of the books.

I missed out on most children's and young adult books while I was growing up, so if they sound mildly interesting at the very least, I'm willing to give them a try. (We moved a lot, and as for my teachers and librarians, I think I just fell through the cracks, maybe. As for my parents, who I adored, I share about them in my memoir.)

The one series (so far) I wasn't able to force myself to continue with as an adult was the Nancy Drew books. Believe me, I am as surprised as you are, but after reading just four (I think), I'd had my fill. Ah well, to each her own. A reader my age must always prioritize, especially when I've so much catching up to do. I do so hope Heaven has a huge library!

There are many versions of the Katy books "out there": Kindle, paperback, hardcover, etc. The free versions have suited me, but you might want to check out the others if you want a print copy. There are also omnibuses.



I wound up buying this version of the third book, What Katy Did Next, for 99 cents:




The last two in the series are Clover and In the High Valley. I'll let you search for those on your own if you're interested. They should be read in order, however, because the children age in each book.

The Katy Carr series is also reminiscent of Pollyanna, Dandelion Cottage, Betsy-Tacy, Little Women, etc. Again, the writing is not quite on par with LM Montgomery, but it is good in its own way. I am in the midst of the third book now. There is another that I think might be at least related to the series, although I have yet to read it. It's entitled Nine Little Goslings and it is mentioned in the book What Katy Did Next. Apparently, it should be read before What Katy Did Next, but if not, I'll update this post.

If you've read any of these books already, please let me know if you liked them!

Enjoy your reading,
Bess
PS: I am an Amazon Associate. Thank you so much for looking at these books (and you can always check with your local library). If you do enter Amazon and buy anything at all via one of my links, it costs you nothing extra and gives me a little credit for buying books for myself. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess