Tuesday, March 21, 2017

For Your Reading Pleasure 3/21/17




The Dandelion Cottage novels, written by Carroll Watson Rankin, are a sweet bunch of books about a sweet bunch of preteen and early teenage girls. Clicking on the photos will take you to the Amazon page for that book. I believe they are each available for free or 99 cents for Kindle on Amazon, which is how I read them (using Amazon's free app for Kindle for PC). They aren't quite the superb writing of LM Montgomery, but if you enjoyed the Betsy-Tacy books, you very likely will enjoy these. Also, if you like housekeeping, you'll want to see how the girls go about setting up house in their little cottage summer playhouse. 

Caveat: These are not short-short books; if a Kindle version says one of the books contains, e.g., 50 pages, don't pay money for it. Something is amiss. (However the link above shows only 106 pages on my Kindle, and it appears complete. I believe the others in the series are longer.)




Dandelion Cottage was/is a real cottage located in Marquette, Michigan (Lakeville in the books). The four books in this series are 1. Dandelion Cottage; 2. The Adopting of Rosa Marie; 3. The Castaways of Pete's Patch; and 4. Girls of Highland Hall Further Adventures of the Dandelion Cottagers. Books 1 and 3 were my favorites. Be advised that by their being written in the early 1900s, the books are not always politically correct. Rankin wrote other books as well. I don't know at this time if any of them are part of this series.

Don't let the title of The Castaways of Pete's Patch turn you off. Pete's Patch is the name given some land along Lake Superior. The girls and friends go there for a vacation, but wind up spending quite some time there.

These are children's books. But I hope you will enjoy these books as much as I have as an adult.

Many blessings,
Bess
PS: I am an Amazon Associate. Thank you so much for looking at these books (and you can always check with your local library). If you do buy anything from Amazon via one of my links, it costs you nothing extra and gives me a little credit for buying books for myself. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess