Tuesday, March 28, 2017

For Your Reading Pleasure 3/28/17




This 2015 book by William Norwich is a true gem (photo takes you to its Amazon page). I write down book passages I especially like in my commonplace books. I've never ever tagged so many quotes in one book to write down! (I mark them with the little thin post-its "flags" and keep on reading; after I'm done I go back and reread the tagged bits; if they still move me, I copy them.)

I aspire to be Mrs. Brown: works hard, never complains, knows when not to speak, bears her burdens stoically, takes great pleasure in her cups of tea and her kitty, and loves God. 

But the 66-year-old Mrs. Brown is also compelled to save her money and travel to New York to purchase a dress by Oscar de la Renta.

My Mrs. Brown is not only similar to Paul Gallico's wonderful Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris (1958), but his book plays a role in this one. Gallico wrote four Mrs. 'Arris books. Of course, most readers think the first is the best, but I found the others enjoyable as well, if only to see what Mrs. 'Arris and her neighbor would be up to next.



I read all these books via my library system, but they can be found on Amazon. Unfortunately, excepting My Mrs. Brown, I don't think they are available for Kindle as yet.

If you like gentle reads, please do yourself a favor and read My Mrs. Brown. (There is a bit of swearing, but not by our beloved heroine.)

If you're interested in Gallico's books, they are:

Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris
Mrs. 'Arris Goes to New York
Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Parliament
Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Moscow

I won't do any other links for the Gallico books because being out-of-print, their availability changes often. But I'm sure a search will find them available via your library, Amazon, or your usual used book sources.

May your days be filled with books that lift your soul,
Bess



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess