Monday, December 12, 2016

Bedside Provisions




It was the custom each morning for Violet to make a pot of Earl Grey tea in her bedroom, and to take a cup to each of her sisters. ...She quite enjoyed the early morning ritual, and Ada and Bertha were grateful for her service. Each sister kept a tin of biscuits in her room. Violet favored Gingernuts, Ada- Rich Tea, and Bertha stuck to Digestive. Sometimes the cup of tea, with a dip into the biscuit tin, was all that was required by way of breakfast as the ladies grew older and frailer. (From Friends at Thrush Green by Miss Read)

This excerpt resonated with me. I don't prepare a cup of tea in my room, but in recent years I have taken to maintaining a small stash of food in a bureau drawer a foot away from the side of my bed. Currently I have Ritz crackers, saltines, and Junior Mints. Amazingly enough, I don't find myself overindulging. I have a couple crackers with my morning and evening pills, and once in awhile I reach for a Junior Mint as a little pick-me-up. It's just so wonderfully convenient to have something nearby instead of having to pad to the kitchen for just a cracker.

But should we want to be able to also fix a cup of tea in our bedrooms, Margaret at Devon Dreaming shared a wonderful post about her lovely guest room accommodations here. Isn't her tea tray a nice idea?


So I briefly considered using the tray shown above to hold a teapot and accessories in my room, but I don't have the electrical outlets. Besides, in my little cottage, the kitchen isn't really that far away. So I'll have my crackers with the water on my nightstand, and once I'm alert for the day, I'll go fix that first cup of tea. 

Hopefully you pamper yourself a little, too. Someone as wonderful as you deserves to!

O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
Psalm 8:1

Hope you are enjoying a magical holiday season so far,
Bess