Wednesday, June 24, 2015

First Bloom ... and a Turkey


I had just about given up on my hibiscus that I overwintered from last summer, but it finally gifted me with its first bloom. There are several more buds as well. (I took the photos with my phone, and the color washes out a little bit in the transfer to my computer.)

Then this afternoon while running an errand, I spotted a wild turkey crossing a side street. I went around the block, and by the time I returned, it was sitting in the shade. I know there's a development on the edge of town that has had flocks(?) of wild turkeys show up, but this is the first I've seen in the center of town, and all by itself. I hope it stays safe in all this heat ... I wouldn't want it to roast!  ;-] (Edited to add: I'm told by a neighbor that this bird could have been a female peacock. Since we have both [the peacocks stray from a local park], I really don't know which it is!)


Female? At any rate, this gobbling visitor makes me think of being thankful for all my many blessings. And I'm so very thankful for my family and for all of you wonderful visitors to my blog.

Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare...  
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge.
Psalm 91:3-4  NIV


God's creation is so awesome, and that includes you! 
Bess
PS: I know I've plugged it before, but I love zooborns.com. I can't help but praise and worship God when I see all those strange, wonderful, and sweet babies He's designed and put on this earth.


3 comments:

  1. Hi, Bess - the hibiscus is beautiful!
    Poor Mrs Turkey looks a little lost, maybe.
    I hope she found her way to safety after a rest under the tree.

    Peaceful blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely color your hibiscus bloom is! I had not heard of the zooborns site. I looked at it briefly and will plan to look more. The little babies are so cute!
    Dianne L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bess. The first bloom is always special and the hibiscus is lovely. I expect by now other buds have opened. Amazing to see wild turkeys or even a peacock wandering around. I'm glad the bird found some shade and the shape does look like a peacock. Whatever it was I hope it remained safe and returned to the farm or park. The scripture quote is reassuring. Beautiful imagery of God's care for us. Every blessing to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess