Monday, January 26, 2015

A Pillow and Teacup



Sorry I'm late posting what's apparently turned out to be my once-a-week post! Sad. But then, if I try to place too many rules on my life at this point, it'll take all the joy out of it!


I decided I hadn't shared this teacup (I don't think) or this pillow that I made. There are hooked pillows and rugs, and then there are hooked (with beautiful craftsmanship) pillows and rugs. Mine was a simple project that I made for my mother many years ago. When I was going through her things and it wasn't turning up, I figured it hadn't made one of my parents' many moves. But finally there it was! Squished in a box in the garage. Poor humble pillow! But it has that precious connection with my mother, so I was glad to have it.


pillow back

I think the teacup was hers as well. Royal Vale from England. It's rather dainty even though it looks contemporary. It is between a demi and a regular teacup in size.





Remember my cross-stitch Santa pillow I shared maybe a couple years ago? Still haven't finished it. But that's not as bad as the pillow below! I made this Dresden pattern in a class, I'm thinking in the late 1970s. I gave it to my mom to sew up with her sewing machine, and had forgotten about it when I came across it in her things. Perhaps I'll just frame it or make it a wall hanging since my pillows have to be protected from four curious kitties. But with my track record, it likely won't be anytime soon!



A couple quotes from The Young Clementina by D.E. Stevenson:

[After a weekend visit to Hinkleton Manor for the christening of her niece Clementina, Char thinks]: 

It took me weeks to regain the small modicum of resignation with my lot which I had previously achieved. 

and

It is my birthday, today, Clare, and I have bought a tiny cake. Perhaps you will think it rather a foolish thing for a woman of thirty-five to do--to buy a birthday cake and eat it all by herself with a dream [imaginary] companion, for her birthday tea; but I have missed so much in life that other women take as their due that you must forgive me my foolishness. 

It's not my birthday, but perhaps it's yours? I loved this book. The main character writes down all her worries and thoughts about her life to a woman she just happens to meet (on a bus, I think), has a brief conversation with, doesn't even get her name, yet afterwards feels they would have been best friends given the chance. I thought it was a genius approach for a book.


Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Psalm 51:12

Blessings, and I pray you are more than happy with your lot! But if that isn't the case, we have Jesus to tell all our thoughts and worries to. He has the answers, and He is the answer to what's troubling us.
Bess


6 comments:

  1. Oh Bess, post when you can. The pillow, the tea cup and saucer are so pretty , thank you for sharing it with me today. Mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cushion looks like a comfy one to rest against. The backing on it and the green floral on the other cushion do indeed remind me of the 1970s patterned material which I think was such a pretty one for frocks and skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember making a hooked rug long ago. It's nice you could get those things back again. I have the book THE YOUNG CLEMENTINA,, but haven't read it yet. I have read a number of other D. E. Stevenson books. I hope you have a good day!
    Dianne L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Join the party; I've been posting once a week since November, down from twice or even three times a week in the summer, but that's my pace for now, and it suits me fine. For me, I need to be inspired by something, someone, somewhere, to write about it.

    Your pretty teacup and hooked pillow are wonderful reminders of your childhood, I'm sure, and how lovely that you rediscovered them, again, along with so many sweet memories. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a wonderful week.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved doing hooked projects when I was younger! This post, and all your lovely memories, brought a big smile to my face. Thank you for sharing them.

    Be blessed, Regina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of all the gifts my husband & I made for his parents that we now have in our home after their deaths. Memories come back with them. Your Dresden pillow top would make a great tea cozy !

    I appreciate the quotes, especially Psalm 51:12. I love where God has placed me but sometimes that feeling of dissatisfaction rears it's head and touches my heart. Kindly reminders like this post are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess