Saturday, November 22, 2014

Prayer Journals and a Break


Purchased from Walmart; 7" x 9.5"; the color in this photo is truest.

I have fairly recently begun two prayer journals. This is nothing new to most people, but it's something I've never really done, i.e., devote an entire journal to nothing but my handwritten expressions of prayer. So I think this will be "The Year of the Prayer Journal" for me.



Already, writing in them has been so cathartic, and I believe I'm even having deeper sleep again. One is for my general prayers for anything and anyone. I'm trying to write every day, but it's averaging about every day and a half. Much is repetitious: I record prayers for my small but cherished family every time I open my journal to pray. And then, of course, I also pray for whatever I'm led to by the Spirit.

The bottom journal (Hallmark) is the one I'm using for a prayer journal for my job.

The second journal I've only used a week, but I think it's going to be helpful. It is a prayer journal I've entitled "Embracing My Job." In it I began with my reason for the journal (I've been struggling some with the workload on my newish job), and will pray about my concerns, my joys, and will also pray for the people I work with and come into contact with as a result of my job. I'm hoping to put a positive covering over my mild frustration by turning my "need to share" into prayers. Because all in all, it's a wonderful job.

This photo shows the inside of my job prayer journal; it's a bit larger than 5" x 7".

This past year I have also written out a scripture a day in a journal (not shown). It's getting toward the end, but will probably have room to run into 2015. I began with verses I knew by heart (which didn't last as long as I would have liked), but then recorded any verse that spoke to me that day. One more thing that turned my thoughts to Jesus.


I think I'll take a break for the holidays, and most likely won't post again until after the New Year. Although- you know us bloggers: If we've got something to blog about, we've got to blog! :O) I will still update "I've Been Reading" and Pinterest, and I'll be visiting you as time and energy allow.


In him we live and move and have our being.
Acts 17:28

So Happy Holidays, Dear Readers, and may God bless you and yours,
Bess

9 comments:

  1. Hello Bess. Your journals are just beautiful. A perfect way to keep our thoughts on our Saviour. Like you, I have also started a new job, which has taken me away from blogging at the moment, so I do find myself stepping back for awhile. Have a wonderful Christmas. May you create new memories. Mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss seeing your posts, but I understand you wanting to take a break. I hope your work begins to go better. The prayer journals are a really good idea. I recently found a song by Sovereign Grace ministries called, "The Lord Is". It is about Psalm 23. It is so encouraging to me, and I often sing it to myself. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!
    Dianne L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, don't know what happened to my first reply, Dianne. But I looked up that song on youtube and bookmarked the one with the words in the background, so hopefully I'll be singing it, too. Thanks for telling me about it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Bess,

    What a lovely way to 'recite' and record one's prayers, in your pretty journals. I know what you mean about feeling more at peace, getting better sleep, when one consciously thinks about and is genuinely grateful for all the blessings in their life, as I've been making an effort to do the same.

    Will miss your posts, but hope you enjoy your break.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poppy! I actually also have a gratitude journal somewhere, that I abandoned some time ago. I will have to dig it out again. I think even rereading what we've written in them in the past helps to build us up!

      Delete
  4. I like your idea of the "embracing my job" journal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking a lot about doing just this, but thinking about it and doing it ....well, your post has given me inspiration to JUST DO IT !

    I love reading about your journaling for the right reasons and seeing you say this has really encouraged a change in your spirit for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful journal. I have kept one at times, to cross off the answered prayers...I must get back to it!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess