Thursday, November 6, 2014

Jekyll and Hyde?


Pages from Devotions for the Beach by Miriam Drennan

For some reason still unknown to me, I had a strong compulsion to reread a devotional entitled Devotions for the Beach ... and days you wish you were there, by Miriam Drennan. The book is copyrighted 2012, so I probably read it only a year or two ago. But I dutifully searched for it in my stash and have just reread the first two devotions so far.

It's an odd time of the year to feel compelled to read such a book with its beach theme, but perhaps there is something in it God wants to use to help me or to help someone else. We shall see.


My little watercolor is "supposed to be" Sunset Bay in Upper Michigan.
It needs fixing, but I will probably just try again so I don't have a total blob.

Beaches not only differ vastly from one location to another, but the same beach scene can change drastically depending on the weather. You might say a beach is a regular Jekyll and Hyde.

Of course, to be accurate, beaches are being affected externally, while a true Jekyll and Hyde has internal "polar opposites" taking place. Good and evil. Moral and immoral. Kind and cruel. Patient and impatient.

I know someone who seems almost two people in one, a split personality. Totally harmless, thankfully. Then I wondered: What about me? Where am I like a Jekyll and Hyde? Sadly, I could think of some instances of disparity in my own conduct. Patient one time and then impatient another in similar situations. Frustrated one time and then calm another. Confident some of the time, yet insecure other times. Kind, and then snippy.

I might be able to blame a little of such behavior on post-menopause and wacky hormones. But not all. At any rate, I don't want to be a Jekyll and Hyde. I want to be stable, loving, serene, peaceful, calm, collected, kind, patient ... all the best fruit the Spirit has to offer.

I'm going to work on that. With God's help, of course. And if the Spirit led me to my beach devotional for a particular reason, I'll let you know.

Do you want to be emotionally stable and consistently content? Meditate on God's Word and make sure your thoughts are in line with it. Stop concentrating on wrong things, and start thinking: No matter what is going on in my circumstances, I am able to remain calm and loving while I trust God to take care of everything. 
Power Thoughts Devotional by Joyce Meyer




Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing.
My brothers and sisters, this should not be.
James 3:10

Have a serene weekend,
Bess

2 comments:

  1. Once again, a very encouraging and interesting post. I hadn't thought of the Jekyll and Hyde story quite in that way before. I hope you enjoy the beach devotions book.

    Dianne L

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are being changed from one degree of Glory to the next if our heart is after God as I know yours is so be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess