Monday, October 13, 2014

Friday's Child

A gift from my mother in 1972: Zenith Delft Blue, Made in Holland

No, it's not my birthday, but I'm desperate for post material because I'm too worn out to be creative at the moment.

Monday's child is fair of face;
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is full of woe;
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving;
Saturday's child works hard for a living.
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
is bonny and blithe and good and gay.

If taken as true, being a Friday's Child comes with a big responsibility to others. For many years now, much of my time has been given over to serving others, which can be beautifully rewarding but tiring. It's also very humbling. At times my selfish side (my "flesh") screams for more "Me Time," and I must admit I try to protect it when possible.

How about it? Does the poem fit you? Of course, I think all of us are really a mixed bag of each day- and more. I guess the poem was based on fortune-telling, which would be a no-no for Christians. But now it's just a nursery rhyme, albeit a rather strange thing to tell children. Children need hope and deserve to be hopeful. I think we're all like children that way.

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them ... Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example
that you should do as I have done for you.
John 13:12-15

Welcome to my new followers. And many thanks to all of you who stop by. I appreciate your support!

May every day feed your hope (Jeremiah 29:11),
Bess


4 comments:

  1. A very interesting post, Bess. Giving, sharing, donating, whether it be one's time, knowledge, heart, or possessions, is always freeing and rewarding, is it not? It may not feel like it at the time, but when reflecting on things later, the answer is clear. It's not always easy, and sometimes the challenge is, in the end, the underlying reason for feeling good about such altruistic attitudes.

    Have a wonderful day!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always felt a little sad for Wednesday's child. I'm "fair of face." :) My dear husband "works hard for a living," which is true.
    Being loving and giving is the best, though, and one that we all need the most help with!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O) Yes, I figure if some of the days had good "blessings," they all should have. I suspect we're supposed to think that being born on "Sabbath Day" is the best, except that I'd have to look up bonny and blithe to be sure what they mean. And at the moment I'm too lazy! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard this poem Bess...but I must say that it is interesting to see the blessings on everything! I was not born on Sunday, but yet, I feel quite blessed nonetheless :0) The dish itself is quite lovely. In regards to finding posting material...share your lovely Victoria magazines with me and I am quite content ;D

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess