Thursday, September 25, 2014

Some Wise and Encouraging Words

She looks like she could use some encouragement. Painted by my grandfather.

Even when life seems hard we still must carry on, and eventually we will reap the benefits of doing so. For example, Corrie ten Boom, in her book This Day is the Lord's spoke of experiencing illness and suffering as being in training for higher service. She also warns:

"Giving too much attention to little symptoms is playing into the hands of the enemy. He uses illness to depress us, until we see things out of all proportion to their real value."

That's something to watch out for. And sometimes we just need a reminder that life doesn't have to be all bad. Here is the great Tony Bennett singing the standards "Put on a Happy Face" with James Taylor, and then "Smile" with Barbra Streisand. There's just a bit of talking on the first one, but it's still a joy to hear. If you haven't heard these wonderful songs for awhile, indulge and enjoy and take note of their wisdom!

From Winston Churchill:

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

From Harriet Beecher Stowe:

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."

And from Corrie:

"Suffering is God's thorny but blessed road to wonderful victory. We must learn to remain faithful."

A watercolor by my grandfather, with a glimpse of a pencil sketch by my great aunt.

You can throw the whole weight of your anxieties upon him,
for you are his personal concern.
1 Peter 5:7  Phillips

Enjoy your weekend,
Bess

1 comment:

  1. I know that when my friend called 'depression' wants to visit, I do look back at the verses that continue to help me. I focus on His Word continuously, it is the only way for me to have a good day. Thank you so much for sharing Bess...the picture is quite pretty. It looks as if she is deep in thought., maybe remembering a very pleasant event ;-D

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess