Saturday, September 13, 2014

Choices and Revisiting Corrie ten Boom


I must choose a notecard for a special note to a dear friend.


























During World War II, Corrie ten Boom was imprisoned by the Nazis, at Ravensbruck and other camps, for harboring Jews in Holland.

I read her books The Hiding Place and Tramp for the Lord years ago, but want to reread them. Just lately I've read Don't Wrestle, Just Nestle and Not I, but Christ. Her books are amazing lessons on getting through whatever life hands us. Her choice was to do so with an attitude well-pleasing to God, through Christ.

I purchased both of these pretty Hallmark cards on sale.
























Corrie died on April 15, 1983, her 91st birthday. She had finally ceased being a "tramp for the Lord" in 1977, making her home in California. In August 1978, she suffered a terrible stroke, leaving her mute. Subsequent strokes left her with paralysis, still unable to speak, read or write, and bedridden. Until the end, she "drew her strength from the Word of God, and from the Lord Himself, with whom she still constantly communed."

"He [Jesus] will come, and there will be a moment that everyone will bow before Him, everyone. Then the matter will be whether you will bow your knees before your Savior or before your Judge." (From Not I, but Christ)

It's our choice.

I think I'll choose this one.

"I once heard that a person gave the advice that we as Christians should learn Morse code. Then, if we were imprisoned it would be very useful. Well, I cannot agree. When during the war I was in prison, I knew the Morse code, but it did not help me very much. What was valuable to me was every Bible text and every hymn I knew by heart. Learning these by heart is a preparation we can all have." (Ibid)

I also have found memorizing Scripture and singing hymns and praise and worship songs an invaluable choice. What a comfort during the dark nights of the soul, during medical tests and hospitalizations, and during those hours and days we wait for answers for loved ones or ourselves.

And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
1 John 2:28


Abiding in Him is the most important choice we make! Hope you are enjoying a
splendid  weekend,
Bess
PS: I did have to break down and turn on my heat! 

3 comments:

  1. What a very encouraging post. I should reread the Hiding Place, too. As I run across special verses and passages in my BIble reading, I say to myself, "You should memorize that." I often write verses down and read them over, but don't memorize them. Thank you for the reminder.
    Dianne L

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hiding Place is one of my all-time favorite books. It is so moving and inspiring.

    A month or so ago, a friend of mine spent a few days in Amsterdam after vacationing in England. She said they toured the Ten Boom house, and they even stepped into the hiding place. What an amazing experience it was for her!

    Blessings,
    Patti @ Magnolia Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. The greeting cards are beautiful, Bess. I am so amazed at the lives some people have led, and to read the words of their experiences has been helpful in challenging times. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here today.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess