Sunday, August 3, 2014

Handpainted Plates & August Victorias


I don't have a lot of handpainted china, but today I'm sharing four plates that I inherited. Three are from Bavaria and one is Nippon. (I am disappointed in the lighting. As I have said, I don't really get good light in my house over the summer months. I had a lamp on next to them. Maybe that was a mistake?)



I sat them on old August issues of Victoria magazine. So many of the covers in the early to mid-1990s were especially exquisite and beautiful. 








Alas, this one has become discolored.







... be not careless of the good looks that nature has given to you, take care in dressing yourself and attending to personal neatness, that you may ever appear at your best ... Seek goodness and purity first, then strive to keep the body in harmony with the beauty of the heart. Take time to make yourself presentable, but do not use the time before your glass that should be given to loving service. Let your chief charm be of heart and spirit, not of face and form. Seek the true beauty which lasts even into old age. (from Beautiful Girlhood by Mabel Hale)




Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us.
Psalm 90:17  KJV

Linking up with Kathy for A Return to Loveliness

Wishing you a lovely August in all respects,
Bess

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bess,

    I loved the excerpt today of true beauty, it all its soulful forms. Wonderful photos of your beloved hand painted plates. As far as lighting is concerned, I cannot take photos in my own home after a certain hour, so I haul my subjects outside, wherever the light is resting at that time, and usually this does the trick of highlighting their features! My 'veggie' post, coming up today, is an example of this. Have a lovely week!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bess...the plates are so lovely :-) Thank you for sharing them with me ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful hand painted plates you have! Such a lost art isn't it!
    big hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plates are lovely. Glad I stopped by to see them. I especially love the pretty blue
    for-get- me- nots

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quotes and such pretty plates, Bess. And you're so right, the older Victoria covers were exquisite and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful plates, Bess. I think of the artists who hand paint china and pottery - those in the past and those still doing so today in England and no doubt in your country too. Happy painting of flowers yourself, Bess.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess