Saturday, May 3, 2014

Book: Martha's Vineyard with photographs by Lisl Dennis (plus two more little watercolors)


The other day, I read with great pleasure a post by Carolyn of Aiken Home & Gardens, full of photographs of the wonderful homes of Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard, here. If you enjoy charming exteriors, be sure to look at Carolyn's lovely post!

Her post reminded me I had never read a book I chose for my birthday via an Amazon GC back in 2012. Nothing slow about me! So I've looked about a third of the way through so far. The very first home showcased is that of our beloved Susan Branch! And of course, thus far I've liked her decor the best. But that's because the book is not all about one particular style: it's about MV homes of real people, and many did their decorating themselves.

If you're curious to see inside the homes of people who actually live on MV, most for many years, you might enjoy this coffee-table book. If interested, you can check it out here.



Each is one-fourth of 9x12 watercolor paper.

My watercolors this week reflect that I had Beginner's Luck on my previous attempts! :O) They are on 4.5" x 6" pieces of paper. The lavender I did freehand; the little landscape I sketched first. Seems like there is often "one more thing" (or several more things) I decide to add that I would have been better off not to. 

But that's the fun of experimenting. I want to try lavender again, and also more landscapes. I worked on this teeny landscape a little at a time for maybe ten days or so. It's very loosely based on a photo from Victoria magazine's June 2000 issue, page 88:




Scanned. That's a tiny field of poppies on the righthand side.

I didn't have the courage to put the poppies in. I just didn't know how to get that effect of looking through them.


Scanned. Can't draw a straight line without a ruler!


When Daniel was lifted from the [lions'] den, no wound was found on him, because he had trusted in his God.
Daniel 6:23

The holy people of the Most High will receive the kingdom and will possess it forever- yes, for ever and ever.
Daniel 7:18


That's all for today. The temps are really heating up; will be using some AC this week!

Keep the faith!
Bess

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful book. I like your watercolors. The lavender one reminded me of a cross-stitch lavender sachet that I made a few years ago. And the Tuscany one is similar to a painting that I have in my family room. I've never been to Tuscany, but I'm fascinated by its landscapes, fields of poppies, and country houses.
    Thank you for this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments, Olga! I think Tuscany has beautiful landscapes, too. I hope my readers will check out your lovely crochet on your blog Lacy Crochet. I have a link on my sidebar for anyone interested. Blessings, Bess

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess