Friday, May 9, 2014

Back to Work!

My mother, late 1920s.
Note the embroidery on her little dress.

Rejoice with me, Dear Ones. I start a new job on Monday! In a prior post (sometime during my 4-month hiatus) I mentioned that I was going to let the Good Lord decide my future as to whether I could/should retire, semi-retire, or postpone retirement indefinitely. I simply applied for every suitable opportunity, part time and full time, and waited to see where God would lead.

This is the dress she was wearing in the photo!

So delicate and sheer.

And the "winner" is ... semi-retirement! I will be working part time, nearly half the hours weekly I used to work, and the job seems hand-picked for me. And of course, it was. :O) I am beyond thrilled! Later this year, I will add early Social Security, so I should be OK.

Another from the same little bundle of dresses.
That's actually more embroidery in the middle of the photo on the right.

The third dress of three.
A pair of Mom's baby shoes; not worn in her photo above.

I apologize for not washing out and pressing my mother's delicate little dresses. They would have looked so much nicer, but my priorities before Monday didn't include that. So they are as they have been since packed away in, probably, 1929. Mom was born in 1927 and was small for her age. I don't think she could have been older than 18 months to 2 years.

Mom circa 1964. That's my arm behind her.

You can see more photos of my mother here and here. Actually, much of this blog has been about treasures I've inherited from my mother, plus her mother, her grandmother, and her two aunts. I feel blessed to have their heirlooms. Although very few are valuable, they have value to me (not to mention my house would look very bare without them).


When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, "Woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
John 19:26,27

I wish you a very Happy Mother's Day, whether you are a mother in fact or a mother in spirit. Thanks for visiting and see you soon!
Bess

3 comments:

  1. I love the little dresses and picture of your mother as a baby. Congratulations on your new job!
    Dianne L

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dresses and the little shoes are to be treasured along with the photos. So pleased to hear about the job situation and giving thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you have your Moms dress and shoes!!!!! What a lovely photo of her with you back behind!!!!!

    i am in same spot you were in trying to decide about work/retire. i am too young to retire but have been off the past 2 years after having a year of 9 deaths of family and life long friends! one was my Mom. I am perplexed because i have gotten what feels like stale to work again, but I must.

    Hope you are loving your new job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess