Saturday, April 26, 2014

More Watercolors

The pad on the table protects it (sort of) from the kitties.

Thank you for your comments on my foray into painting with watercolors. You are all so kind, and it's lovely to have the encouragement! Welcome to my newest followers, as well!



Still using dark pencil to sketch; I probably need to get a drawing pencil.
But I somewhat like the pencil lines because I don't have to
outline and shape as much yet. In some places
I use a nearly "dry" brush (for better control) to layer color.

Of course, some attempts will be "better" than others, even if I were more experienced. But I will try to share everything with you as I go along. So far I'm still not back to work, which allows me more time to enjoy my new hobby.






A demi: "Takiro" from Japan on bottom.

I have to mind my thoughts because between efforts I'll begin to put pressure on myself to do well. Which is ridiculous! That type of thinking can quickly ruin something for me. I must remember that, at least with sketching and watercoloring, I don't want to do well, I just want to do!!! 

I watched a lesson on drawing Bleeding Heart here. I found it helpful! 


Not as vibrant color as the real thing; I used watered-down red to get pink.

Joyce Meyer says we have to do things "on purpose" or they don't get done, e.g., think appropriate thoughts, give of ourselves, study God's Word, etc. Between paintings, when I realize I'm making too much of just the thought of creating a watercolor, that's when I need to, if possible, stop what I'm doing and just whip out a little sketch to start the process. Then nearly immediately I'm happily absorbed in what I'm doing.




Be still, and know that I am God.
Psalm 46:10

Linking up with Pink Saturday! Thanks for your hospitality, Beverly!

Enjoy your doing, and if you are in the path of storms this weekend, stay safe!
Bess
PS: I'm all for taking plenty of time for just "being" too.  :O) 

7 comments:

  1. So, so pretty Bess....don't forget to frame them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to learn to do watercolors, but I am such a perfectionist that I think I would be disappointed with my attempts. I used to draw as a teenager and was always frustrated when I couldn't get the effects I wanted. Bravo to you for your efforts!!! Maybe when I don't have so many other projects on the "to do" list, I may yet give it a try.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire anyone who can paint...cause I can't for the life of me :) Just gorgeous. HPS Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy sketching flowers in pencil, but I haven't done any watercolour painting for a long time. Yours are pretty and a lovely way to relax and observe the beauty around us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bess,

    I am imagining the process of your painting, how your images 'bloom' and 'grow' in the natural light of your space, and before you know it, you've created your own beautiful flowers and a pretty pitcher to place them in!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your painting is very nice. It will not be long and you will be painting the roses from the tea cup
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a friend who was watercolor artist - it's harder than people think. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess