Friday, February 14, 2014

My Mother's Paperdoll

Sorry for the flash, but this photo of her red coat turned out the best.
Someone should have made her some red boots!

Hello Dear Ones, and Happy Valentine's Day! Hope you are enjoying a pleasant day, whatever the weather. Today our foot of snow has been rapidly melting, and one could wear a spring jacket. Luckily, this paper dolly has multiple wraps to choose from:


I first gave you a glimpse of my mother's paperdoll in this post. Mom was born in 1927, so I'm guessing the little paper dolly is from the early to mid-1930s. Today I'll share the paperdoll clothes that were made to go with it, including the only two items that were printed in a newspaper and cut out:


The rest were completely homemade/hand-drawn, possibly by my grandmother but most likely by my "artistic aunt." You can learn more about her by checking out my Popular Posts on my sidebar. 


Don't know if the little number in the top row is a coat or a dress: perhaps a coatdress!

Made from plain paper; most of the others look to be made from
wallpaper, construction paper, or wrapping paper.

These have slits to fit on her head.


The little sweetie can stand on her own two feet. Well, with a little help:


Here she is in her little box house. (She doesn't take up much space):


I spread her clothing out on an old embroidered, cutwork cloth that I used to display on my one-foot square, twisted leg table. The stitching may be machine-worked (can't tell), but either way, sadly the cloth is deteriorating.



My grandmother's fruit bowl.

I hope you enjoyed this "viewing" of my mother's paperdoll and her fashionable wardrobe!

Therefore, as God's chosen people,
holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion,
kindness, humility,
gentleness, and patience.
Colossians 3:12


Hope on because Spring is coming! Have a great weekend,
Bess

1 comment:

  1. It was fun to see your mother's paper doll and clothes. My mom and her sister had a lot of paper dolls when they were growing up. My grandmother let the grandkids play with them, and some of them didn't survive too well. Recently my mom and aunt got together and each made a booklet of dolls and their clothes as well as a wall hanging. I like all of the family items you show here. I have quite a few, too, but so much of mine gets purchased on Ebay or at antique malls. Things with a story behind them are always special.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess