Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book: Miss Nonentity by L.T. Meade


I finished Miss Nonentity yesterday. It's a very old-fashioned book, with behavior by the men and even the mothers in the book that seems very outmoded these days. But once I was finally moving along with it (I had put it down to read other books that were calling to me), I enjoyed it.

This book had me fooled. I began reading it with a preconceived idea of what a "Miss Nonentity" would be like, and I actually didn't know which was the title character until I grew suspicious because of the lack of involvement of a certain one. 

As to the plot/setting, it involves education and families in the late 1800s; the effect money and lack or surplus thereof has on two friends; and by attempting a grand gesture- getting oneself into a "pickle" that just keeps getting worse. And of course, Miss Nonentity saves the day.

This is only the second book (to my recollection) that I've read by L.T. Meade, but I hope to read others. 


She wrote 280 - 300 books, mostly for girls and women. You can read more about her here and here. (Here is the London cover for the book. It was published in 1900. Note: The edition I have is 310 pages long. Amazon claims to have a paperback version with 98 pages. Something seems amiss. Eventually I will be checking online with my library for other Meade books.)


I've added the book to my little hallway table. It belonged to my great grandmother, and within its drawer I keep an old scrapbook/baby book my grandmother made re my mother, an only child:

The photo must be from a magazine or paper.

The drawer also holds my mother's paper doll (or paperdoll):


Sometime on this blog we will have to take out both keepsakes for a better look!

I hope everyone enjoys the long weekend (for many of us). You may have seen my previous post, and the work has begun to slowly and carefully close down the office. In the midst of our circumstances, God reminds us to trust in Him for the future and not in what we are planning. Plans are good, but He is better! So I will carry on, one day at a time, and see how His plans for me unfold. (But I'm still hoping for retirement at 62!)

Have you seen Shelia's Tilda dolls? They are darling! Click here for her first Tilda.

Well, I must skedaddle! Things to do; food to eat. (I've already gone the places I'm going to go, for today.)  :O)




For we are God's handiwork ...
Ephesians 2:10

... I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...
Psalm 139:14

There may be a book, but in reality there's no such person as a Miss Nonentity!
Bess
PS: I forgot to share the inscription. Love the penmanship, the old names, and the ink:


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Bess...we are beautifully made, so nonentity is a world's term. Blessings... m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bess,

    Well this latest read of yours certainly does sound intriguing and mysterious, in itself! Lovely colours and tablecloth in your pretty vignette.

    Happy Weekend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess