Wednesday, May 15, 2013

On Singing and Happiness


From the book Lark Rise by Flora Thompson (found in the trilogy Lark Rise to Candleford):

Most of the men sang or whistled as they dug or hoed. There was a good deal of outdoor singing in those days. Workmen sang at their jobs; men with horses and carts sang on the road; the baker, the miller's man, and the fish-hawker sang as they went from door to door; even the doctor and parson on their rounds hummed a tune between their teeth. People were poorer and had not the comforts, amusements, or knowledge we have today; but they were happier. Which seems to suggest that happiness depends more upon the state of mind - and body, perhaps - than upon circumstances and events. ...The singers were rude and untaught and poor beyond modern imagining; but they deserve to be remembered, for they knew the now lost secret of being happy on little.


I can't tell you how much singing to myself has improved my life. I rarely sing out loud; the halfway pretty voice of my youth has long ago left me. Yet sometimes I do croak away when there's no one else around. But even singing silently to myself works miracles.

The most difficult part was developing the habit of realizing, or catching myself, whenever I was thinking thoughts that served no purpose whatsoever. Over time I improved that skill, however, and anymore I can almost immediately "play a song from the jukebox in my mind" and send those lousy thoughts packing with their tails tucked 'tween their legs!


Because Dear Ones ... it's all in our minds. The key to happiness is simply to control what's on our minds. And if your mind is on wholesome, positive thoughts as often as possible, then your attitude reflects the wonderful thoughts you are thinking. And by far the easiest way, for me anyway, to have happy thoughts, is to frequently have happy, positive, wholesome songs running through my mind. I'm not there 100% yet, but I'm sooooo much better off than I was. I just have to remind myself that I know the way out of my self-pity, and then do it.

Guess it's obvious this subject is near and dear to my heart! Many websites on overcoming negativity mention singing a cheerful song, but I haven't found a site that elaborates on this. So if you want elaboration, just check out my sidebar! :O)

The photos are of my fun Mother's Day loot! You can check out these and tons of other beautiful stationery products at papyrusonline.com. It's a fantastic site for those of us who still love the art of writing letters on lovely papers.

Gotta love this journal cover!


Sing to him, sing praise to him;
tell of all his wonderful acts.
Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
1 Chronicles 16:9-10

Has anyone told you today how awesome you are?  How awesome you are! 
Thanks for visiting!
Bess

2 comments:

  1. Larkrise to Candleford is a lovely book. We enjoyed the television series of the book a few years ago. I like to have praise music on as it creates a peaceful atmosphere in the home and then you can't help singing along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bess,

    I couldn't agree with you more! I've been singing since I was a little girl and when I was in Drama School at the University of Toronto, singing frequently accompanied our lessons. About 12 years ago, I joined an international choir here in Greece and that led to some professional engagements. Jazz is my love and Ella Fitzgerald my idol. I spend a lot of time alone and singing along with Ella has been marvellous company!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess