Sunday, February 3, 2013

When We Need a Break from Life


I was looking through a couple of my journals (commonplace books) last night to see if there were any quotes I'd jotted down that I hadn't already used and/or moved me. Isn't it amazing how everything has its time? A book to read, a quote to ponder, a letter to write, and so on.


Anyway, I thought the following quote from the book Eat the Cookie, Buy the Shoes by Joyce Meyer was helpful when going through tough times. Speaking of Elijah and the angel (and cake and rest), Joyce then writes: 

"... the answer to some of the most difficult times in life is to get some rest, eat something we enjoy, do something we enjoy, take a nap, and keep repeating the process until we feel we can go again."

Which is really taking care of first things first by pampering ourselves a bit when we're worn out. Sometimes we only need to do the above for a day, a weekend or a week, and other times we need to do it for a year or two, although the latter usually requires taking care of other responsibilities besides our responsibility to ourselves. 

Joyce Meyer (looking at my journal) has also said: "Our daily life and what we do each day is our pulpit-- our ministry." (I don't indicate a book, so she probably said that on her TV show.) So it seems to me it is important that we recover from our trials, or lighten our burdens, by taking care of ourselves so that we can be good representatives for our precious Lord.

Just pulled some placemats and doilies out of my old cabinet earlier this morning for a simple photo op. Some posts I just want to "slap up a photo," but you lovely ladies are so talented with your vignettes and photography! I have learned so much by visiting your blogs.


Then as he [Elijah] lay and slept under a broom tree, suddenly an angel touched him, and said to him, "Arise and eat." Then he looked, and there by his head was a cake baked on coals, and a jar of water. So he ate and drank, and lay down again. And the angel of the Lord came back the second time, and touched him, and said, "Arise and eat, because the journey is too great for you." So he arose, and ate and drank; and he went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights as far as Horeb, the mountain of God.
1 Kings 19:5-8  NKJV

Whether we need rejuvenation or strength for the journey, taking care of our basic needs is vitally important. But let's also remember to depend on this:

The eternal God is your refuge,
And underneath are the everlasting arms.
Deuteronomy 33:27  NKJV

And whether you'll be watching Downton or the Super Bowl,
I hope you enjoy a fun day today!
Bess



6 comments:

  1. Really wonderful words, dear lady. You're so right, taking care of ourselves really is important. I have learned that in my latter years. As a young wife, mom and minister's wife, I took care of everything and everybody else and seldom myself. That has changed, though. And I think it's a good thing.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely, lovely post Bess. Very wise words indeed and much needed to give ourselves permission to rest. It can be difficult to do when there is pressure from every side to keep performing. Thank you for sharing your lovely lace doilies and godly words to sweeten them.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dear Ladies, for your kind words. I really appreciate them! I'll be by to visit both of you! Hugs back, Bess

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a pretty post. I agree, sometimes we just need to take care of ourselves and recharge. Have a wonderful day
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Blessings and best wishes for complete revitalization! :O) Bess

      Delete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess