Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pondering Joy


"Don't tell God how big the storm is.
Tell the storm how big your God is."

Just wanted to share some thoughts and these quotes from my desk calendar entitled: "God Cares -about every little thing in your life - 365 Uplifting Reminders on Faith, Friends & Prayer" (by Product Concept Manufacturing, Inc.).

"Consider a day well-spent
not by the amount you harvested,
but by the number of seeds you planted."

"The invariable mark of wisdom
is to see the miraculous in the common."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I especially like the last quote. After a major snowstorm, aren't we so thankful for clear roads, driveways, and sidewalks again? After a hospitalization, aren't we blessed to simply be at our kitchen sinks rinsing our own dishes? After an especially difficult week at work, aren't we comforted to lean back in a chair and just breathe in the soothing ambience of our homes? All these are far too easily taken for granted when they are the "common occurrences" of our lives.

Dear Ones, let's make it a frequent practice to take an inventory of our many blessings and be grateful for them. 

Yes, it's wonderful to have dreams and goals. Progress wouldn't be made without them. But I think we need to also move toward being able to say to ourselves: "If few or even none of my dreams come to pass, even so I will be content. I will choose to delight in the common days of my life as a way to honor God for giving me life in the first place. The Blessed Lord deserves to be praised by my sacrifice of joy. I will be happy for His sake." 

And oftentimes it is a "sacrifice of joy." Like Paul, I'm not there yet, but I press on. With the help of God's marvelous grace, I continually work on choosing positive thoughts over negative thoughts, and gladness over sadness. I sing His praises as I go. (Note: If one is in a period of grief/mourning at this time, one must go through it, of course. It helps tremendously to take God with you.)

Click to sing along with Paul Baloche: ALL THE EARTH WILL SING YOUR PRAISES!
(Give it a few seconds to begin, then get up and sing and dance with joy!)

... count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach,
and it will be given to him.
James 1:2-5  NKJV  


Hoping you are able to lap up all the beauty in your everyday ordinary moments,
Bess