Thursday, January 31, 2013

What Size is Your Cottage?


Photo Source

Mine is small!  The principal part of the house is a mere 760 square feet, plus there's a utility porch that's about 100 square feet.  I won't share a photo of the exterior.  From the street my home looks like a plain, ordinary, humble little house.  There's not a thing to set it apart from any others in the small town older neighborhood in which I live. Except, of course, that it's my house. :o)

A house can have a "cottage look and feel," but if it's not suitably small, can it be a cottage? My old Webster's says: "a small house, usually of one story." (In this day and age, how many square feet does a small house have?) On the other hand, maybe it's all about a "cottage mentality." 

Well, mine doesn't look like a cottage from the outside, but I want to work on that: maybe someday some shutters and trellises, English cottage garden flowers, birdhouses, flowering trees.... My yard is much larger than my house, with a rather shady backyard. I'm afraid I've neglected my "garden" as the English would say, so I must get with the program! (Where's Richard Bucket, pronounced Bouquet, when one needs him?)

I love the smallness of my house. I can literally see diagonally from one end to the other. When searching, there are only so many places something can be. I'm also forced to regularly evaluate and weed out items I don't need or treasure anymore, which helps keep my "inventory" from overflowing. I can talk (well, sometimes holler) to the family member who lives with me from anywhere in the house and be heard.  We can hear when the kitties get into a squabble and rapidly mediate their altercations. And with the washer and dryer on the utility porch, I don't have to go down any stairs to do laundry.

My little cottage is no design dream; rather it needs a ton of work that in all likelihood won't be completed during my lifetime.  But that's OK.  It's cozy and comfy.

The other day my kitty desk calendar said: "Snuggle down in all the love God has for you."  That just warms my little floppy heart. (The name of the calendar is "God Cares- about every little thing in your life." It's perpetual, flips over, and only lists the manufacturer as Product Concept Manufacturing, Inc.)

Dear Friends, during these cold winter months, I hope you'll snuggle down in your cottages and breathe in all the love God has for you.


Let not your heart be troubled:
ye believe in God, believe also in me.
In my Father's house are many mansions:
if it were not so, I would have told you.
I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come again, and receive you unto myself;
that where I am, there ye may be also.
John 14:1-3   KJV

Mansions, rooms (NIV) ... or maybe ... cottages?!

The weekend approaches!
Bess

10 comments:

  1. I live in a small home too, at least small compared to our old home. We downsized a few years ago and I would love to have a 'cottage feel' for our home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am small as well...but it doesn't matter! I would rather have a small home than too much to clutter and clean!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Mary and Ruth! I gather that smaller homes are becoming more in demand. That's not too surprising considering the cost of utilities and taxes these days! Of course, it's much easier to live in small homes in some places than others. Small town living is very conducive to small home living. Rural areas in general, I suppose. Have a nice weekend! Bess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've certainly lived in small home and know their pleasures and restrictions! :) I live in a large home now and till live in every room! Thanks o much for popping in to see me
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your home is gorgeous, Shelia! And you're right ... there are definitely limiting factors with a small home, such as I talk myself out of pretty things sometimes just because I know I don't really have a place for them. But sometimes I want them! :O) Blessings, Bess

      Delete
  5. I see that you found I mentioned you on this Pink Saturday post. :) I love your blog.
    I know what you mean about cottage reality and mentality. When we had 2400 sq ft it was just too much. We have around 1400sq ft now and sometimes, It's not enough. Actually, if they'd just divided the rooms differently it would have made a ton of difference. And, I too have neglected the flower places . . . can't even call the beds. We've been in so much drought that our yard has all but blown away.
    But, home is home. And isn't that more about the heart than anything?
    I'm curious what those mansions in heaven are like. I've heard so many different takes on it - but I think just being there ... that'll be grand. Not too soon though. ;)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier - I've added the photos to the bottom of the post (individually). You're not the only one who couldn't see them. Don't know what's up with that, yet. Enjoyed visiting w/ya.
    Til next time, Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bess, thanks so much for coming by and saying "hello" on my little blog. I love the scripture that you've quoted here. I'm so very thankful for God's never-ending love.
    A cottage is a mentality thing for me. Mine is less than 900 sq ft on one level, and it does have a lower than normal ceilinged basement. But, I call it a cottage, therefore it is! :) It's as simple as that.
    Have a beautiful weekend. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I question the definition being "one story" anyway, Cindy. I know in the Miss Read books, there are often bedrooms upstairs in their cottages. I think maybe calling our homes "cottages" is simply an affectionate term for how much they mean to us and the comfort they bring us. And that's more important than semantics! :O) Have a blessed week! Bess

      Delete
    2. I agree, it is definitely an affectionate term for me! :)

      Delete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess