Saturday, December 8, 2012

Ordinary People

Just your ordinary person.

"You know, it is rather nice to be ordinary," said Mrs. Macfadyen.  "It's like a disguise and you can go about looking at people and they don't look at you." 
(from the book Close Quarters by Angela Thirkell)

I had to laugh at this line when I read it earlier this year. It's so true, but it takes being "that certain age" to appreciate it, I think. When we're in our teens and thereabouts, we're apt to be overly concerned with our appearance ... not having a ravishing or at least unique appearance can seem so dire.  We so long to be noticed.

Somewhere down the road of life, though, I came to appreciate that I was just me, that there was no reason to impress anyone, that taking "extraordinary measures" (well, I exaggerate) to be attractive was no longer necessary.  It's not that I don't care at all how I look ... I do keep myself "presentable."  But it's so nice not to care so much what other people think of me.  Thank God.

Three cheers for a new perspective, even if sometimes it takes awhile to fully develop.


Not just your ordinary kitty!
(But she needed brushing at the time.)


This means that anyone
who belongs to Christ
has become a new person.
The old life is gone;
a new life has begun!
2 Corinthians 5:17   NLT

Ordinary becomes extraordinary in Jesus!

Have a cozy weekend,
Bess