Monday, December 3, 2012

Hope Has Its Rewards


Journal by Hallmark

"Any arbitrary turning along the way, and I would be elsewhere. I would be different. What are four walls anyway?  They are what they contain.  The house protects the dreamer.  Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game.  It's such a surprise."
(Final lines from the end of the movie Under the Tuscan Sun, which has some coarse language in it but on the whole is a wonderful movie.)

Just in case we need to be told again: Never give up hope!  If it's getting away from us, chase after it until we catch it, and then hold fast.  We do that every single time it starts to slip away.  If need be, we must force ourselves to stay in the game. Attitude is everything. Be grateful. Look up, down, and around with intent: Absorb the beauty all about you.  Listen in the early morning for the sounds made by the living.  Join in.  One step, one action, on purpose; one moment at a time.  Believe it's going to be alright.

Last year we had a snowfall that by morning had turned the parking lot at work into a treacherous field of choppy, slick ice.  Since I arrive at a later time, I had to park far away from the building. I stood up from the car and looked at the long path of ice between myself and the office.  I sighed, but then looked down at the ice immediately in front of my feet and told myself, "One step at a time."  It was slow-going, but I was blessed by a kind delivery man who offered me his hand the final several steps. (Chivalry is definitely not dead!)

Anyway, I was reminded that though hazards and trials are everywhere, all we can do is just take the next little step.  Over and over again.  And eventually that nasty old ice will be behind us ... and maybe even completely melted the next time we pass that way again, which it was!


When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord; 
he brought me into a spacious place.
Psalm 118:5

... may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Psalm 143:10

Hope on,
Bess