Saturday, November 24, 2012

Winter Domestic Comforts from Miss Read




"...the fact that Christmas Day falls in the dreariest time of the year also highlights its impact.  We are usually in the grip of winter's cold, early darkness, frost and snow, and all the ills they bring.  Doubly precious, therefore, are our domestic comforts - a blazing fire, sustaining food, the comfort of friends and, at the end of the day, a warm bed...


"Outside, the winter landscape has a beauty of its own: bare branches against a clear sky, brilliant stars on a frosty night and perhaps a swathe of untouched snow.  But these beauties are best when seen from the comfort of one's home, with a good fire crackling and the smell of crumpets toasting for tea.

"That is the charm of the winter season, the contrast between the cold and the warmth, the light and the dark..."

(from the preface to Christmas at Fairacre by Miss Read, Houghton Mifflin 2007)

If you want some gentle Christmas reading, I can't recommend highly enough Christmas at Fairacre by Miss Read. This book is three in one:  Village Christmas, The Christmas Mouse, and No Holly for Miss Quinn.  I love these stories and am currently re-reading them in this delightful volume.  But then I love very gentle reads.  (I rarely even read a mystery, but some years I'll read one.  I do want to try the Tea Shop Mysteries by Laura Childs.  I know many of you enjoy that series.)

I must ponder the future of this blog.  My camera flash is kaput, plus tonight I'm told I can't post any more pictures without buying more storage.  Probably most of you have already dealt with this issue.  I will do some more checking.

Time will tell!
Bess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess