Saturday, November 10, 2012

On Suffering


Someone lost their "hope" in the parking lot.
It seemed a sin to just leave it lie.

But the end of misery is never in a hurry to come...
(from A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter)

We mortals, men and women, devour many a disappointment between breakfast and dinner-time...
(from Middlemarch by George Eliot)

Even so:

My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
but wholly lean on Jesus' name.

When darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on his unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
my anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, his covenant, his blood
supports me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
he then is all my hope and stay.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand;
all other ground is sinking sand.
(Edward Mote, 1797-1874)

Check out this great song by Matt Maher:  Hold Us Together

"This is the first day of the rest of your life ...
'Cause even in the dark you can still see the light.
It's gonna be alright, it's gonna be alright."
(Matt Maher)

...but we also glory in our sufferings,
because we know that
suffering produces perseverance;
perseverance, character;
and character, hope. 
Romans 5:3-4



I don't think suffering should ever be taken lightly, but I don't want to keep a tight grasp on it either. (It took me a long time to learn that. And I don't know if I'll ever get to be like Paul and glory in my suffering as it's happening, yet in hindsight I often do see the good that comes from it.)

Let Go and Let God.

Hang onto the hope of Jesus.  He's everything.
Bess