Saturday, November 17, 2012

Contentment



















With all the windows in the house opened, I sat down with my tea tray and thought how lovely it was to be back... At any rate, to be a village schoolmistress, with a fine border of pinks just breaking before me, and the sound of rooks cawing overhead, seemed a very right and proper thing to be, and I envied no man.
(from Village Diary by Miss Read, 1957)


"... I envied no man."  Isn't that a wonderful place to be?! Sometimes when I'm having a pity party, I stop myself and take an inventory ... is there anyone else I'd really rather be? And there never is.  Sure, there are things about my life that could stand a little improvement, but I wouldn't want to switch places with anybody.

I once heard or read somewhere (sorry, don't know who to credit) that if the circumstances and events of the lives of any number of people, including ours, were put on cards and laid on a table, and we could all walk around the table and pick up any cards we wished our lives to be, we'd pick up our own cards again.

How about you?  I hope you're in that place where you "envy no man" or woman.  All the same, I'm going to say a prayer for all of us tonight because our lives are always in flux.

Keep your lives free from the love of money
and be content with what you have,
because God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you.
Hebrews 13:5

[And it is, indeed, a source of immense profit, for]
godliness accompanied with contentment
(that contentment which is a
sense of inward sufficiency)
is great and abundant gain.
1 Timothy 6:6 Amplified

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts
and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7  KJV


May God Almighty enfold you in His Arms and take away your feeling of lack, your pain of any kind, heartache, disappointment, and loneliness, until you know true contentment in your heart.  

So grateful for each and every one of you,
Bess