Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Conundrum of Pursuing Joy




"But I cannot understand these people I hear about who live only for their own amusement. Perhaps it is very great; I'll never have a chance to know. To me, it seems the only pleasure in this world worth having is the joy we derive from living for those we love, and those we can help." 
(Elnora Comstock in A Girl of the Limberlost
by Gene Stratton-Porter)


(Well, I think there needs to be at the very least a modicum of "me time." If we only live for other people, never doing what is "just for me," then I think we burn out.)

"When we neglect what matters most to us,
that then becomes the matter with us."
(Paula Reeves, as quoted by Joan Anderson in
A Weekend to Change Your Life)

(On the other hand, it's not all about me, me, me! Some of my most joyful times have been when I was able to help someone else. Joyce Meyer says [and I paraphrase] that of all the things she's tried in an attempt to be happy, being a blessing to others is the only thing that has really made her so.)

"... Betsy, remembering all the precepts about doing something kind for someone else when you're feeling down in the mouth, offered to help Margaret dye Easter eggs."
(from Betsy in Spite of Herself
by Maud Hart Lovelace)

(Seems like a conundrum, but not really:  Taking some time to do what we expressly enjoy is part of loving ourselves, and then that fills us and fortifies us to love and help others all the more.)

For the whole Law
[concerning human relationships]
is complied with
 in the one precept,
You shall love your neighbor
as [you do] yourself.
Galatians 5:14   Amplified

Enjoying a fresh evening breeze floating in through my bedroom window and wishing you a joy-filled weekend,
Bess