Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Prayer from Mrs. Comstock

Photo Credit

Mrs. Comstock, upon watching a newly emerged rare moth:

"Young people," she said solemnly, "if your studying science and the elements has ever led you to feel that things just happen, kind of evolve by chance, as it were, this sight will be good for you.  Maybe earth and air accumulate, but it takes the wisdom of the Almighty God to devise the wing of a moth.  If there ever was a miracle, this whole process is one...."

"There never was a moment in my life," she said, "when I felt so in the Presence, as I do now.  I feel as if the Almighty were so real, and so near, that I could reach out and touch Him, as I could this wonderful work of His, if I dared.  I feel like saying to Him:  'To the extent of my brain power I realize Your presence, and all it is in me to comprehend of Your power.  Help me to learn, even this late, the lessons of Your wonderful creations.  Help me to unshackle and expand my soul to the fullest realization of Your wonders.  Almighty God, make me bigger, make me broader!' "

(from A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter, which I just read for the first time and is now one of my favorite books!)

For since the creation of the world
God's invisible qualities--his eternal power
and divine nature--have been
clearly seen, being understood
from what has been made,
so that people are without excuse.
Romans 1:20

Brrrr!  Had to break down and turn on the heat!  :o)
Bess