Saturday, September 8, 2012

Mettle




I was thinking about the word "mettle" the other day. Webster's New World Dictionary (1964) defines the word thus: "quality of character or temperament; especially, high quality of character; spirit; courage ..."

Then I searched on the Net and I liked that definition even better (no site was given that I could tell; it just came up): "A person's ability to cope well with difficulties or to face a demanding situation in a spirited and resilient way."

The reason I was thinking about one having mettle was because I had just finished a phone conversation with a family member who's been going through quite an ordeal health-wise. Really going through the mill. And I could tell from our conversation that he was handling the whole thing beautifully. He has mettle.

The best way to develop mettle is to love, study, focus on, and walk with, Jesus. Through whatever. And when someone has mettle, what a wonderful testimony his/her life is.  

I'm just admiring grace under pressure as it unfolds before me, and praying for an excellent outcome.

You will guard him and keep him in perfect
and constant peace whose mind
[both its inclination and its character]
is stayed on You, because he commits
himself to You, leans on You,
and hopes confidently in You.
Isaiah 26:3   (Amplified)

Love you- Family O'Mine,
Bess

The book in the photo is Still Life, the Art of Nurturing a Tranquil Soul by Mary Jenson, 1997.