Thursday, February 16, 2012

My New Miss Read Books


I was astounded this past Christmas when, between family and friends, I received an enormous (to me) amount in Amazon gift certificates.  It didn't take me long to decide what to spend them on: I have read all the Fairacre series by Miss Read, and now I own them!  What a haul!  (Well, I did put in just a teensy weensy bit of my own money.)


Each time I returned one of the Miss Read library books, I'd sigh a little as I let it go.  I never dreamed I could own the whole series.  Now I sigh with gratitude and pleasure as I look at them on my dresser (where I actually keep them).  I haven't read Early Days yet (Dora Jessie Saint's biographical works), so I have that to look forward to.  As I recall, Fresh from the Country isn't a Fairacre book, but I've read it and enjoyed it (so naturally I wanted it, too).  Edited to add:  I already owned A Peaceful Retirement.


I was very pleased with the Christmas trilogy.  I almost paid a premium for a nice used copy of No Holly for Miss Quinn from a third party, and then upon more research discovered it was part of Christmas at Fairacre, a lovely hardcover book containing No Holly for Miss Quinn, The Christmas Mouse, and Village Christmas.  And one can't beat the price!


Most of the books are paperback, however, and follow a uniform design, but some don't (go figure).  That was OK with me.  I did have to buy The White Robin from a third party, and it was a "retired" library book, but in very good condition.  Someday I'll probably buy The Caxley Chronicles as well, since Caxley figures in the Fairacre series a great deal.  I have read The Market Square, but not The Howards of Caxley.


Well, possibly for some this is much ado about nothing, but for a bibliophile such as myself, it's a real treat to acquire a beloved series of books!


The painting is one of my grandfather's works (my mother's father).  My mother told me the setting is Galena, Illinois.  Grandpa passed away before his grandchildren were born.  Although he was an art director for a big advertising agency, apparently his work was relatively unknown because numerous Internet searches to find mention of him have been unsuccessful.  I'm just tickled to have a few of his paintings.



The painting still has its original frame.
It has become discolored.

On a blogging note, I've never deleted so many photos!  My camera just did not like the light in my living room tonight.  Sadly, these were the best of the lot.  If you can ignore scratches and a thumbprint, I thought the flash with the worn area on my piano made a neat cross:


Lax, lax, lax.  I'll have to polish my high-gloss piano with Windex tomorrow. Oh, for the pianists among you, my piano is a Yamaha U1AR studio upright, purchased in 1988.  It looks a little worn, but I still love its sound.

Thank You, Jesus, for The Cross.

Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days, 
Let them flow in endless praise.

Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.

Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Frances R. Havergal  1874  (Public Domain)
Verses 1, 3, & 5

Thanks for letting me share some of my favorite things (including
wonderful old hymns),
Bess

I'm linking up with Charlotte for Spiritual Sundays.  Thank you, Lovely Lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess