Friday, February 24, 2012

My Name is Bess, and I'm a Negative Thinker

By working to avoid negative thinking,
the beauty in our lives gradually comes into focus.

I have lived nearly two-thirds of my life as a hardcore negative person. Maybe it is a disease. Or maybe the result of too difficult or traumatic a life. It doesn't matter. I just wanted to be free.

I may not ever be completely free in this life.  I still battle with my negative thoughts every day.  But the fight is getting easier, and I gain a little ground after each skirmish.  Most importantly, my thought life has improved significantly.

You may not have this kind of war going on in your life.  But if you do, or you know someone who does, may I humbly suggest the methods posted on my sidebar ... especially displacing negative thoughts with singing to oneself (silently or out loud).

We hardcore negative thinkers can't think of anything positive when told to think about something that is not negative.  Or if we can, the positive thought is short-lived.  But when given the simple method of filling the mind with happy, wholesome songs and/or heartfelt hymns and worship songs, a miracle happens.  We are able to stay with the songs and the songs stay with us.  The negative thoughts can't get through nearly so easily.

And before we know it, we're engaged in some activity of interest, free from niggling worries and destructive thoughts.  If we're in bed and can't sleep, we use the double-strength method of singing our songs and visualizing the words at the same time.  Keep focusing on singing your song and seeing the words.  The next sound you'll hear will be Zzzzzzzz.

This method is so simple, a child can use it.  In fact, I would think it likely that casually planting the seed (the idea of singing happy, fun, peace-giving songs) in a child's mind might be a tremendous gift to a child with a tendency toward restlessness and uneasy thoughts.  I have no way of checking that out, however.  If one has concerns over such a thing, then she could work with the method herself before suggesting it to her child.

At any rate, if you're a diehard negative thinker (and first we have to realize that we are, if we are), please give this "King David Method for Fighting Negative Thinking" a try (among his many battles, he also battled negative thinking, relying heavily on singing - and God, of course - for help and comfort!).  I'm convinced it's a winner!

And so are you!
Bess

Sing praises to God, sing praises;
sing praises to our King, sing praises.
For God is the King of all the earth;
sing to him a psalm of praise.
Psalm 47:6-7

I'm joining Charlotte for Spiritual Sundays.  Please stop by her site to read some wonderful posts!