Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rose Chintz Tablescape


This week I'm joining in congratulating Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage on the occasion of the second anniversary of her Tea Time Tuesday blog party. Wonderful achievement, Sandi!  Thank you for all the fun and beauty you provide blogland every week.


Sandi sometimes shares her Rose Chintz china by Johnson Brothers on her blog.  Susan Branch also has a collection of the same, along with other ladies, of course.  I inherited my mother's Rose Chintz service for eight, but it is newer, not vintage.  It still has the same pretty pattern, but for example, the insides of the cups are plain on the newer sets.  Also, I've noticed the "blue" on the flowers on my dishes is put on rather haphazardly.  Such is progress, I guess.

For my tablecloth today, I chose an afghan made by my grandmother.  The pattern is called "Sea of Tranquility."  Somewhere I have a copy that my mother wrote out.  Using an afghan was a stretch, but the dish pattern seemed too busy with the quilts I have, and I have already shared my lace tablecloths and was in the mood for something different:


The dining table to my grandmother's set is very small, and doesn't lend itself well to much of a centerpiece.  Once the table is set, the "center" isn't very pronounced.  That's OK, though, because I don't have much centerpiece material.  The candlestick was Grandma's as well (the mark is Volkstedt: pre-WWII from some quick research), and the little figurines (bells); the salt and pepper shakers were my great aunt's (the musician, not the artist); the silverware belonged to my grandmother on my father's side (its simple pattern can be seen better in this post); and I bought the little gift book used.

That's a nightlight that I wound up removing from the tablescape.
One can place a drop of fragrance on its top.


My mother's stemware (she bought it just a few years prior to her death):


Rose Chintz:


"Dishwasher and Microwave Safe"
I think that's kinda sad!


To get a better look at the needlepoint chairs below, you can go here:


My mother loved dishes, as do I, and had other sets to serve eight.  But I broke all the other sets up, and sent half to auction, the Rose Chintz being the only full set of eight that I kept.  Silly, because I'm not apt to hold a formal dinner for eight in my little house, but I just didn't want to break up the set.  So thanks, Sandi, for letting me share my Rose Chintz at Rose Chintz Cottage!



(I doubt my place settings are arranged correctly.  One day I'll have to do some research on that.  For now, I just do what I like!)


Rejoice in the Lord always.
I will say it again: Rejoice!
Let your gentleness be evident to all.
The Lord is near.
Do not be anxious about anything,
but in every situation,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.
And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds
in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:4-7

Grateful for all of you,
Bess
Edit:  Oh my!  Had I known this was going to be my most popular post, I would have "done so much better" (or at least chosen a prettier tablecloth)!   :o)

In addition to Sandi's party, I hope to be linking this post to the following wonderful places/posts. Please go visit them, you'll be glad you did!

Mary at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Kathy at A Delightsome Life for A Return to Loveliness
Martha at Martha's Favorites for Tea Cup Tuesday
Terri at Artful Affirmations for Tea Cup Tuesday
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday
Thank you, Gracious Ladies!

1 comment:

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess