Thursday, December 15, 2011

And A Call to Sing

Lettering and little drawing by my Great Aunt Addie.



Psalm 95 from the New King James Version:
A Call to Worship and Obedience

1 Oh come, let us sing to the LORD!
Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.

2 Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving;
Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.

3 For the LORD is the great God,
And the great King above all gods.

4 In His hand are the deep places of the earth;
The heights of the hills are His also.

5 The sea is His, for He made it;
And His hands formed the dry land.

6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.

7 For He is our God,
And we are the people of His pasture,
And the sheep of His hand.
Today, if you will hear His voice:

8 “Do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion,
As in the day of trial in the wilderness,

9 When your fathers tested Me;
They tried Me, though they saw My work.

10 For forty years I was grieved with that generation,
And said, ‘It is a people who go astray in their hearts,
And they do not know My ways.’

11 So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest.’ ”


Singing (even if silently in our heads) gets us through so much: waiting for a loved one to arrive; hospital tests where we are admonished not to cough for twelve minutes (x two); times when we feel frustrated, impatient and even angry; moments when we're wallowing in self-pity, because singing our praise and worship songs distracts us from those very things and places our thoughts on Him. This, of course, assumes that we would rather not feel worry, fear, frustration, impatience, anger, and self-pity. And if we're going through a period of grieving, as we draw nearer to acceptance, our songs can serve to provide strength to go on and support for the journey. (Because I'm never trying to say we should stick our heads in the sand, denying appropriate feelings, and not taking appropriate actions, as clarified here.)

Of course, I'm not 100% successful, but I don't know where I'd be if I couldn't "sing to the Lord,"
Bess

Linking up with Charlotte today for Spiritual Sundays.  Charlotte, thanks for hosting!