Sunday, August 28, 2011

What's on Top of Your China Hutch?

I happen to have two china cabinets in my living room, which is a blessing because my kitchen cupboards go clear to the ceiling, so I have no ledge to set things on in my kitchen. This is what I have on the top of my great-grandmother's pie cupboard or kitchen cupboard:



Clicking on the photos will enlarge them. 


The kerosene lamp was a gift from friends many years ago.  The bowls were among my mother's things, and I had given her the newer milk pitcher.  It says it was made in Poland on the bottom, but no maker.  The candlesticks were among my grandmother's things.  A family member cut out the horse, and believe it or not, I did the rest!  (We were all into woodworking for awhile.  That was many years ago.)


The top is more dull than dusty.  :o)

Below is an older photo of the whole cabinet front.  I stripped the paint off over thirty years ago (not quite finishing it), then gave it to my parents when I moved; it then came back to me.  We've all liked the plain wood look, but I suppose I'm going to have to do something with it lest it start cracking apart.  



Here is what's on top of my grandmother's china hutch, much of which has been in other posts:


The African carving is signed J. Etienne.  (Unfortunately, it has been broken and glued back together, but I still like it.  I may have said this before, but several of my grandmother's knick-knacks have been broken, yet were glued painstakingly back together.  Seems like when I break something, it shatters into twenty pieces.)  My mother painted the birdhouse.  (Sorry, didn't want to get out the tripod today, so the focus today isn't as sharp as it could be.)

Praying that all my readers and/or their loved ones in the East have come through Irene with as little damage as possible.

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Psalm 46:1

As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.
Psalm 18:30

Thanks to all who visit, and have a wonderful
start to your week,
Bess

I may be linking this post to the following wonderful places/posts. Please go visit them, you'll be glad you did!

Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday
Mary at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Kathy at A Delightsome Life for A Return to Loveliness
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
Mary at Very Merry Vintage Style for Share the Love Wednesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Thank you, Gracious Ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess