Tuesday, August 2, 2011

An Ounce of Prevention


The "Little Culprit" unwinding!

(Note:  I wrote the following a little over two years ago.)
     
It was my fault.  It was dusk, and as I walked into the kitchen to put some things on the counter, I failed to see that our youngest cat (and luckily, smallest) was at the food dish.  Judging by some fur on the floor after it was all over, I apparently stepped on her tail.  I was astonished at the viciousness of her revenge, though.  Claws gouging, she climbed my left calf and sunk her teeth through my jeans and deep into my leg.  And since I’m not always overly bright, when I put my left hand down to try to get her off, she sunk her teeth around that, getting both the top and palm of it.  Finally she ran off, both of us equally traumatized.
 
This happened on a Saturday evening, so I had the next day to baby myself and to keep pouring plenty of antiseptic on my wounds.  Boy, was I sore.  I could have been even more sore because when later I finally threw away the thin local phone book I had been carrying, there was a set of teeth marks (bite number three) through it. 

Thankfully, my scratches, punctures, and bites all healed.  I watched the ones on my leg closely since I have poor circulation in my legs.  But all appears well.  The cat had had all her shots and she’s an indoor cat, so I wasn’t too worried about infection.  Still, it pays to be careful.  And now she and I have a cautious, strained relationship. 
 
The moral of this story is, once again, it pays to have a light in the dark.  If there had been one, a lot of pain for both my kitty and me would have been prevented.  Unlike cats, we just can’t see in the dark without a light.  And we can’t see in the dark times of life without Jesus as our Light.  He makes life so much easier and so much more rewarding.  Bad things, big and little, happen to everybody.  Frankly, I don’t see how people get through their trials in life without Jesus.  I think it must be only because God is so merciful.  

***********

That's as much as I wrote shortly after the incident happened.  It has been slow going, but our littlest purrbaby has been learning to overcome her compulsion to bite over every little, and not so little, thing.  She is really becoming a very sweet, loving little girl kitty.  In fact, she's sitting beside me watching me type this.  Oh ... and we put a nightlight up in the kitchen.  :o) 

I think there's also a lesson in this little story on overreacting.  I'm sure all five cats have had their tails stepped on, but only Little Miss B reacted with a vengeance.  I imagine each of us has something that just about makes us go "ballistic."  Eventually, maturity and developing patience and tolerance help to cool our reactions ... but for me, the best antidote has been, and is, time spent with our Lord and Savior.  What a great Teacher is He.  And Healer.  (I love You Jesus.)

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12  (NIV)

Bess, who would like to overreact to not being able to properly format this post ... but won't :o)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess