Thursday, August 25, 2011

Here I Am, Don't You See Me?

Starting to stir...

As I work to promote trust with the smallest kitty in our house, who I'll call "Baby" on this blog, I've learned that if she's within biting range, it pays to avoid looking into her eyes for more than an instant.  She can stare like no other little creature I've ever known.  If I feel her boring holes through me, and return her gaze, she becomes unnerved and expresses her annoyance by trying to bite me before she jumps down.  (You can read more about the little dickens here.)


Becoming annoyed...


So as she walks around me while I'm reading in bed at night, I'll give her all the pets I can as long as she's moving about.  However, I've become very skilled at "ignoring" her gaze if she stops to stare at me.  The other night I was aware she was sitting next to me, watching me intently.  As usual, for my own safety, I opted not to look into her eyes.  But then she did something she has never done before and I wasn't expecting at all:  She very lightly, almost tenderly, stretched out one of her little front legs and touched my arm with her paw, toes somewhat spread, but claws sheathed.  The sweetness of her gesture made a huge and swift impact on me, and I immediately praised her, giving her lots of coos and pets.  In my eyes, at that moment a more angelic kitty never lived!


Guess I'll let it pass ... for now.


And yet ... she still brings to mind the Disney song "Never Smile at a Crocodile" (from Peter Pan).  She's attempted a nip or two since the above incident.  But I'm determined to someday "get friendly" with my little croc (even though the song says you can't), and to be able to safely pet her anytime, anywhere-- even if she's staring me down!

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
Revelation 3:20

Life is sweet,
Bess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess