Saturday, May 14, 2011

Needlepoint Anyone?


I don't know a lot about needlepoint, but I  know a little, and I know I like it!  My grandmother did, too.  Sometime during the 1960s she bought a new dining room set (which I inherited) and proceeded to needlepoint cushion covers for the four chairs, filling in the background only.  The covers have been placed over horsehair, which sometimes works its way out through the needlepoint!  There were two different designs:

The tea pot is Old Rose by John Maddock & Sons.
It is from a tea set that belonged to my mother.

Ms. S had to get in the photos.  (With five cats,
you're bound to see a lot of cat hair in my photos!
I do keep the cushions covered, though.)

When Grandma needlepointed the chair cushions, she lived in a large city, where competent upholsterers were readily available.  Later, when she moved back to her little hometown, she had to take what she could get.  Thus the poorly blocked and misaligned footstools below (I still love them, though):

She made this for me years ago.  It wasn't blocked properly and she
offered to ask the fellow to do it over.  I didn't want to risk
parting with it, however, so I declined.  The demitasse cup
was made in Occupied Japan.  The towel I keep over the footstool
has tatted edging.  The rhinestone pins were my grandmother's.

This footstool cover was blocked better, but placed off-center!

If one wants to needlepoint the entire design and background, there are kits, pattern books, or cross-stitch pattern charts can be used on needlepoint canvas with needlepoint yarn:



Below are five needlepoint books that were my mother's.  First is Fruits of the Earth by Hugh Ehrman, copyright 1991:


English Countryside Needlepoint by Stafford Whiteaker, copyright 1988:


The Beatrix Potter Needlepoint Book by Pat Menchini, copyright 1990:


The Glorafilia Needlepoint Collection by Jennifer Berman and Carole Lazarus, copyright 1989:


and Glorious Needlepoint by Kaffe Fassett, copyright 1987:


Sometimes my mother needlepointed her own designs, two of which I have:

She put gold-leaf on the frame.  Hope you can tell the
flower is a tennis racket cover!


Below are some UFOs (unfinished objects).  One is a piano bench cover that my grandmother was making for me when she passed away.  Cushions are done in the continental stitch for padding and durability (see the back).  I'm not sure whether my mother or grandmother was making the other chair cushion:

Maybe I'll finish these someday!

These dainty jewelry boxes my sister-in-law gave my mother have machine needlepoint, done with embroidery floss.  The pink basket is Mikasa:

Even though I'm not Catholic, I have these sweet rosaries.

Hope you've enjoyed this needlepoint tour!


In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.
Hebrews 1:1-3

To which of the angels did God ever say,
“Sit at my right hand
   until I make your enemies
   a footstool for your feet”?
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Hebrews 1:13,14

Our God is an awesome God!
Bess

I plan on linking this post to:

Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday
Lisa at The Army Chaplain's Wife for Simply Saturday
Mary at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Kathy at A Delightsome Life for A Return to Loveliness
Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for Tea Time Tuesday
Martha at Martha's Favorites for Tea Cup Tuesday
Terri at Artful Affirmations for Tea Cup Tuesday
Pam at A Breath of Fresh Air for Teapot and Tea Things Tuesday
Wanda Lee at Silken Purse for Teapot and Tea Things Tuesday
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
Mary at Very Merry Vintage Style for Share the Love Wednesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Thank you, Gracious Ladies!