Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Power of a Positive Attitude

After much study on overcoming negativity and after much effort cultivating positivity, I can say, for myself and unequivocally, that positivity is better than negativity.  You would think that would be a no-brainer, and yet I have to persist at working to have more positive, good days than negative, bad days.  It is soooo easy to be negative and not even realize one whit how negative we're being.

And I do work and persist so that by doing so I finally do have more ... many more ... days that I feel positive rather than negative.  I have lapses, but I get on top of them much faster these days.  Thanks be to God!

One way I do so is by reading, immersing myself in, and infusing myself with the help found in books on positive thinking or living life well.  I don't let myself go too many weeks without reading or rereading some such book.  Because it takes time and work and the Grace of God to reprogram our thinking. 

We don't dare listen to ourselves if we aren't telling ourselves healthy words, thoughts, and concepts.  Until we are (and afterward, for maintenance), we must feed ourselves healthy, edifying, beneficial words written by others (the absolute best words to feed on being the Word, of course).

This book by John Mason:  Believe You Can, the Power of a Positive Attitude, is good medicine that goes down quickly and easily.  It is line after line of rational, practical, and wise advice, quotes, and axioms.  It was published in 2004, but I just recently purchased it from a grocery store book rack.  It has replenished the fighting spirit within me to continue to strive to hold a positive outlook on life.  I'm adding it to my "keepers" so that I can enjoy it again at a later date.  (As always, let's run anything we read through the God-filter.)   

Since you have accepted Christ Jesus as Lord,
live in union with him.
Colossians 2:6

With God's help,
Bess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Negative or unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do) or I might leave a joint reply on my post.

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess