Saturday, December 11, 2010

"Growing Up, I Wish I Had Read ... "



Then why don't you read it now?!  If there are "Children's Books" you have been meaning to reread, or never read at all, go ahead and indulge, and the sooner, the better! 

If your life has felt a bit somber, sober, serious, lacking..., getting lost in the great children's classics, or new children's books destined to become classics, is a great escape from the daily doldrums. 

I'm not sure why, but I didn't read very many of the well-known children's books growing up, so I've made it a goal to read all the marvelous books I missed.  It's been wonderful to: live on Prince Edward Island with Anne of Green Gables; climb the Big Hill with Betsy-Tacy; have tea with Alice in Wonderland; donate a library with Elizabeth Brown (in The Library by Sarah Stewart); plant lupines with Miss Rumphius; reclaim a garden with Mary Lennox, Dickon, and Colin (The Secret Garden); and solve mysteries with Nancy Drew. 

Male or female, whatever age, you'll have your own list.  There's always Amazon, of course, but this is where your local library is truly a good friend.  If they don't have what you want to read, they can get it for you through interlibrary loan.  I was somewhat embarrassed to check out children's novels, and even picture books-- "for the artwork," don't ya' know-- at first.  But the librarians have told me that many adults check them out to read for themselves.  

Why not, I say!  It's delightful.  And rather than regretting I didn't read them when I was young (which I did briefly at first), I just fully enjoy them now ... while I'm young-at-heart.  My mood is lifted, my well-being enhanced, and it's just another good thing that pushes away negative thoughts.

"And he said: 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.' "
Matthew 18:3

May our humble, child-like faith in Jesus propel us to feel the joy of just being alive,
Bess

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I read two children's books growing up that I can remember - one was Green Eggs and Ham. I enjoyed the treasure of lovely stories I'd missed growing up by reading aloud to my three children.

    Since my children became adults I still read children's books. The world of stories brings us ordinary heroes and hopefulness. It also helps with chronic pain and loneliness.

    We needn't be embarrassed by reading children's books. After all, they were written by adults.
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, comments are moderated. Unkind comments will be read but not published.

If I have a reply, I will leave it below your comment (as opposed to going to your own blog, which I cannot always do).

Sorry for the rules, but after years of blogging I find them helpful. However, I am very grateful for all my lovely visitors!

May God richly bless you,
Bess