Sunday, April 13, 2014

Reading and Watching

I trimmed the bookmark from an insert I found reading an old Victoria (I think).

Nothing much going on around here ... thankfully! I finally finished The Best of Stillmeadow by Gladys Taber. It's an easy read with chapters set by the calendar year. I just kept letting myself get distracted by other things.


Small TV, bad eyes: a poor combination!
Those are some of my mother's paintbrushes
to inspire my watercolor attempts.

Our PBS station is airing Doc Martin. I happened to catch the first show last week and watched the second yesterday evening. It seems quite good so far. Love the dog. Last night's show explained why the Doc has taken a position in a seaside village in Cornwall. Lots of film of pretty English countryside. I'm usually late to the party, but if you haven't caught this series yet, it's worth a look. I think it dates from 2004 and is probably available via other sources as well (youtube, Netflix?).

Taken just as the sun was going down. The photo doesn't
show how golden the color was.

I've also hit upon The Good Life on youtube (starring a young Felicity Kendal from Rosemary & Thyme). Have only watched two episodes. It's the typical slowish British comedy, of which I'm a fan. But the one I came across "by accident" is Mulberry. I think there were only 13 shows made. I've watched the first two and love the premise and the interaction between Mulberry and Miss Farnaby. Do you know this one? It stars Geraldine McEwan, oh maybe 5 or 6 years after she was in Mapp & Lucia. (I have not seen her Miss Marple shows!) I think she's a marvelous actress. Somewhere I read that there is going to be a new Mapp & Lucia series filmed. It will have to be terribly good to outdo the original!

So from the western sky we had a glorious sunset shining through my back door ...

Now I'm reading Barchester Towers, written in 1857 by Anthony Trollope. Not quite as light reading as Taber! :O) In fact, last night I was so warm (we've had two 90 degree days this past week, but now we've plummeted!) that I got up at 2AM and surfed: mostly reading summaries and characters of Trollope's first book in the Chronicles of Barsetshire/Barchester Chronicles series, The Warden, and then his second in the series: Barchester Towers. Hopefully it will help. I am so grateful for Wikipedia and that other people share what they know about books, authors, and locations. 

And this was the eastern sky at the same time (taken with a different camera).
The line of thunderstorms just missed us.

On the Great Plains this time of year one watches the skies, too!

May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the Lord.
Psalm 104:34

Have a blessed week!
Bess


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bess,

    Light is so intriguing, isn't it? Ever since I started blogging and taking photos, I've learned so much about its 'habits' and rituals. And fleeting as it may be, one can always depend on it for its brilliant presence in our lives.

    The photo of the clouds is stunning!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to hunt for the Doc Martin series on Netflix and Hulu. For 10 years we had no television by choice, but when our children moved back to town, they bought their dad a television for his birthday so they could watch movies when they are visiting. I have grown to enjoy watching my old movies while I knit late at night.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! One of my goals for this blog is to leave readers feeling a little bit better about life and themselves. I look forward to hearing from you, and May God Richly Bless You. Bess