Friday, April 18, 2014

Newness of Life

The paintbrushes were my mother's. It is nice to have them.

Today I'm sharing a small vignette in honor of Easter. I also, just for fun, am sharing my latest watercoloring: a vignette of spring flowers. I am still in the childlike stage where I'm not doing much more than "coloring in" my drawings. I am making attempts at shading, but they are primitive. I have much to learn, but I think just jumping in and experimenting might be the best teacher when it comes to my new hobby.

Right off I used too large a brush for the fritillaria stems and had no idea how to fix it.
I will have to try again sometime!

It doesn't bother me that Easter is also associated with baby animals, eggs, green grass and flowers. Whatever the origin of the connection, to me they are lovely affirmations of new life, the quintessential new life being when we are born again by believing in Jesus.



There are so many fantastic painters out there! Of course, I love Susan Branch, Aude Kamlet, and Beatrix Potter, among many others. In perusing my old Victoria magazines, I'm rediscovering that they are a great source of watercolor works. But I like the article I just reread today (Victoria June 1991) ... an art critic said regarding Churchill's oil painting: "He does not paint more ambitious pictures, pictures with complex compositions, peopled by human figures, quite simply because he cannot." I also have my limits, far more numerous than Churchill's, to be sure! But he loved to paint, and I hope to find joy and refreshment through painting as well.

By the way, if you want a complete collection of Beatrix Potter's books, Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales (in one large volume published by Warne) is very nice quality with 400 pages of Beatrix's wonderful art!






A few more snaps:


"Made in China"



My Prang paints; keeping it very simple!

The following four photos were taken in different light yesterday evening. I wanted the western sunlight on them, and I just wound up with dirty window and screen shadows across the white paper. Live and learn!





"We cannot aspire to masterpieces. We may content ourselves with a joy ride in a paint-box. And for this Audacity is the only ticket."
Winston Churchill as quoted in Victoria (June 1991 issue)


... being in very nature God, [Jesus] did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death- even death on a cross!

Therefore, God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:6-11



Thanks for putting up with my ramblings! :O) Enjoy a blessed weekend,
Bess

7 comments:

  1. Your vignette and little watercolors are just lovely. Looking at old illustrations is certainly a wonderful way to be inspired. I used to draw and paint so easily but once you stop, it is hard to get back into it again, but I am trying, just like you. And enjoying the process. Have a wonderful Easter weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful Easter!

    Dianne L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ladies! Tammy, I hope you, Poppy, and any others will share your paintings as you go along so that we can all learn from and be inspired by each other! Bess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bess,

    You've really inspired me today, again! Your flowers are so pretty; lovely colours! I love the last photo of your paintbrushes and Ms. Potter's precious characters; what a vibrant and charming imagination that woman had!

    Wishing you a blessed Easter!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely water colors Bess.... thank you so much for sharing... mari

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you share your paintings with us. They are so pretty! I just love water-colour paintings. They're always so soft and romantic.

    Hope you had a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your watercolors are lovely. I am trying some sketching right now, but I don't think I will ever be able to do watercolors.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! One of my goals for this blog is to leave readers feeling a little bit better about life and themselves. I look forward to hearing from you, and May God Richly Bless You. Bess