Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Books: The Historical House Series

Thought this coaster was cute; you can see more
at suzytoronto.com.


Not too long ago I mentioned in a post that I was reading a good children's book and would share about this series of books written for girls when I had finished them ... which I have.

The six books are entitled:  Mary Ann & Miss Mozart (1764); Lizzie's Wish (1857); Cecily's Portrait (1895); Polly's March (1914); Josie Under Fire (1941); and Andie's Moon (1969).  The protagonist of each book is a girl, age 12, who lives in the huge house at No. 6, Chelsea Walk in Chelsea, London, England.



Mary Ann longs to be a singer; Lizzie wants to be a gardener and also help her mother who is in dire straits; Cecily yearns to be a photographer; Polly decides she will be a very young suffragette; Josie tries to find herself during wartime and has to choose between having friends or doing what's right; and Andie is a budding artist with real talent.



Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't know about these books, but just in case, I want to say that I thought they were wonderful!  Reasonably priced at $5.99 each, I think they would be a delightful group of books for your daughter or granddaughter or even yourself to read.



There are two books each by three different authors.  I was a bit skeptical at first, but the authors' styles blend beautifully.  In fact, it was difficult to tell that the books had different authors.  Each book even seemed to be a little better than the previous because it incorporated little references to characters or information revealed in the prior books.

(Not in the correct order.)


I don't want to mislead any adults who might want to read these books.  The reading/interest level of these books is age-appropriate for 9 to 12 years of age, and each book includes a short, helpful glossary at the back.  Yet even though easy and quick to read, I found them very enjoyable.  (Although they aren't that old, published since 2000, I included them in my quest to read children's books I missed while growing up.)

Anyway, check into them and see if you agree they are very interesting books, historical yet current, that some special girl in your life will love!  If you're interested, here's a link to get you started (and thanks to any and all who enter Amazon through my blog):




Show me your ways, Lord,
teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
Psalm 25: 4-5

Off to settle in this evening with a good book and then the Good Book,
Bess