Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cancelled Stamp Art


Hello Dear Followers, Readers, and New Visitors!

I have wanted to share these little exquisite works of art with you for some time, but had to find them first!  Some years back I put them in a "safe place" (I thought), and I spent several hours this past week looking for them.  Of course, such things are always in the last place we look, but a short and sweet search would be more pleasant than long and arduous!  Ah well, I was able to weed out oodles of papers I don't need anymore.

Here they have their original protective covering.

These beautiful cancelled stamp flowers, embellished with pen and ink, were created by a Miss Jessie Nolan.  The two larger works are dated 1968 (on their backs).  I've had them for years and am not sure whether they were my grandmother's or great aunt's.  I scanned them hoping to share more detail:

The original of this measures 5" x 7".
Something new is going on when one clicks on a photo, but if you
click on the photo, then click on the "Image from..." link,
then you can enlarge the photo once it comes up.  I hope.
The original notecard measures just shy of 4" x 6".


The original measures 6" x 9".

The demitasse cup is a Russel Wright:


A few more snapshots:


The "ribbon" on the notecard is in pen; the ribbons
on the other two works are made from cancelled stamps.








I hope you've enjoyed seeing this cancelled stamp art ... something that would be much more difficult to create now that cancelled stamps are so few.

You, O Lord, have made me glad by your work;
at the works of your hands I sing for joy.
Psalm 92:4   (NRSV)

Determined to sing for joy even on Monday!
Bess

I hope to be linking this post to the following wonderful places/posts. Please go visit them, you'll be glad you did!

Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday
Mary at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Kathy at A Delightsome Life for A Return to Loveliness
Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for Tea Time Tuesday
Martha at Martha's Favorites for Tea Cup Tuesday
Terri at Artful Affirmations for Tea Cup Tuesday
Wanda Lee at Silken Purse for Teapot and Tea Things Tuesday
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
Mary at Very Merry Vintage Style for Share the Love Wednesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Thank you, Gracious Ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! One of my goals for this blog is to leave readers feeling a little bit better about life and themselves. I look forward to hearing from you, and May God Richly Bless You. Bess