Thursday, January 6, 2011

Add a Little Coloring to Your Life

If you want a relaxing and rewarding pastime that makes no demands, you might try coloring in a coloring book!  As adults we can feel free to indulge in coloring, without feeling silly or self-conscious, by using colored pencils (or markers if the coloring book allows) and better quality coloring books.  Dover publishes a wide variety of coloring books suitable for adults.  They are inexpensive and good quality.  However, I haven't purchased one in quite awhile (but I intend to), so the drawings may be printed on different paper these days (as so many current books are).

These photos are of a Hallmark coloring book I bought in the early 1970s.  In the weeks immediately following my kidnapping, I found some relief from my thoughts by working with ceramics (free of charge as a gift from a kind lady who wanted to help me), and also coloring with colored pencils.

Over the years I've colored in a few other "grown-up" coloring books, but would give them away to children/young adults who needed something to do and were fascinated by the "fancy" coloring books I showed them.  But the little Betsey Clark coloring book I've guarded all this time as a keepsake.  The cover was done in pastels, so that's how I colored the pages.  There are just a few I haven't colored, so sometime, when the time is right, I want to finish coloring the rest.

I pulled the dainty individual ashtrays from the buffet drawer to use as paper weights for my photos.  They were my mother's and are probably from the 1950s or 60s, when smoking was still in vogue.  They have sweet little violets on them.  (My memory was full, so maybe sometime I'll post the rest of the pages in this precious little book.  I hope to get a better camera someday, but for now these photos have to be small so they won't be too blurry.)

I've added a few of the Dover coloring books on my Amazon widget, but you can do a search and find many more to choose from.  If you want a calming, pleasant way to divert unwanted thoughts and soothe your spirit, give coloring a try!

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27 

Finding peace in whatever wholesome way I can,
Bess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! One of my goals for this blog is to leave readers feeling a little bit better about life and themselves. I look forward to hearing from you, and May God Richly Bless You. Bess